This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No wonder I can't find a job

I graduated in March of 2006 with a two year degree in Medical Assisting, I had to learn how to draw blood, give injections etc. No one wants to hire me, I have applied to every single job in the Kansas area for Medical Assisting positions and no one even sends a letter saying thank you for your resume but we have chosen another candidate. I feel that I have ran up a huge amount in student loans for nothing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes (not medical)

Re: No wonder I can't find a job

In my area at present the jobs are slim.
so i now volunteer at a free clinic to keep in practice and gaining experience for my resume.
maybe you should look into something like this, since you been out of school for 3 yrs.
have you tried look into a phlebotomy jobs?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: R.M.A.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes, volunteering @ Rhode Island free Clinic

Phlebotomy jobs can be just as hard to find. Many places will still hire someone off the street and train them but more often they are requiring you have previous hospital experience, even when you are trying to get a job at an office. Lab Corp and Quest are extremely hard to get hired into.
Plasma banks may be easier to get a job at but many are not pleasant to work in.

Volunteering at a FREE CLINIC is an excellent suggestion. I recently answered an ad where the local free clinic was asking for medical professionals to volunteer for just a few hours a month. As usual I didn't expect to hear back from them, I figured they were looking for nurses, but they did answer and said "Sure, we would love to have you". Try a free clinic.

A few questions-What is the conclusion as to why you can't find a job (according to your subject line) ? Did you find out your school has a bad reputation in your area, or that there are like a dozen MA programs where you live? When you apply, do you always do a follow up phone call, since they are not contacting you in any way?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/PBT

Are You Working? Not now

BRD

Volunteering at a FREE CLINIC is an excellent suggestion. I recently answered an ad where the local free clinic was asking for medical professionals to volunteer for just a few hours a month. As usual I didn't expect to hear back from them, I figured they were looking for nurses, but they did answer and said "Sure, we would love to have you". Try a free clinic.

YES YES YES!!! if you can't get experience as a paid employee, then volunteer. You'll get invaluable experience and you never know when so-and-so's college buddy is looking for an MA for their practice. it's how i got my start.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RMA, RPT, CPT

Are You Still In School? yes, PA school baby!

Are You Working? yes

This is a great idea. I have not thought of it, volunteering is a wonderful add to your resume.

Thanks for sharing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student MA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No