This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i feel like im in a bad school. Please help.

Hi, I am still a student in a MA program. I feel like im in a really bad school. So many MA students before me have been sent back from their externship and told not to come back. I have no idea what they did wrong, but it really scares me that maybe I won't know what I need to know when I get out there.
My teacher for clinical lab has a really smart mouth and wont give me any feedback at all. The other night we were practising doing blood smears and looking at it under the microscope, and I dont think I did it correctly but the teacher would not help me at all.
I guess what I wanted to know is just how much lab work do MAs and what are they expected to know? How am I supposed to learn if i have a bad teacher that wont help me? I feel like i cant transfer to another school because I am so far into the program. I only have maybe 3 more quarters left.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: i feel like im in a bad school. Please help.

Most of the blood work will be sent to a lab, nevertheless, if you are expected to do any tests, such as a quick urinalysis, or quick-strep screening, study the package insert (that comes with the test kit) thoroughly (even take one home), and also have a fellow MA, or nurse supervisor at your job go over the details, with a practice run right there at your new job. If you are not sure how to word your answer, think about one ahead of time.

Just don't say, ummmm... my teacher never showed me that. Have a professional answer ready. You don't want to sound unwilling to learn, or as if you are blaming the teacher. (I know, I didn't have to tell you that!). I apologize.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Thanks for the advice. I still have a ways to go in school before I'm done, but its just so frustrating to have a teacher that won't tell me when I do something right, but is quick to make me feel bad when I make a mistake, yet wont tell me what I did wrong.
I just dont feel so good about the school Im in anymore, and so many other MAs before me have failed on their externship. I dont know why they have failed, but it kinda scares me a little. What if I mess up too? Then I will have wasted all my time and money.

Are You Working? no

I think we all might of had a bad teacher at school, I know I did. Common sense goes a long way, don't let one teacher wreck your learning experience. I agree with the other response... read the inserts or your textbook,do you know anyone in the medical field? Does your school offer open lab?, chances are it will be a different instructor in there to help.You could ask them how to do something. Did your text book come with any cds? Mine did and they were a big help in the areas the teacher lacked. You could also try u tube...but use caution, not all the videos are done by working profssionals, but some will provide the skills you are looking for. I hope this helps
Tracy

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Kim, WE WANT you to succeed, so whenever you feel you've had a rough day, always know you have a place to come to here. We will support you as much as we can, even if it is just a couple smileys.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Thank you both for the advice. It really did help. Yeah my teacher can be pretty bad and impatient, but im just gonna stick with it. I did watch some videos on u-tube about how to do a blood smear and a routine venipuncture. That really helped. Thanks, and its nice to know i have someone to talk to about this.

Are You Working? no