This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Its been a long time; have some questions

Wow, its been about 3 yrs since I looked at this forum and its good to see Lorraine and Danni's names still here and this forum going strong.

Bear with me here.

I have changed my mind back and forth a million times about MA.

First, I am a military spouse, and will be for at least 6 more yrs, but probably closer to 16 yrs. (My husband has 14 yrs in right now). So, I move every 2-4 yrs, to places which vary greatly in industry and population size.

I have a BS degree in general studies with a Health Sciences emphasis. I also have a certificate in coding, but that was 5 yrs ago and I cannot really remember CPT and ICD-9. I had worked as an at-home transcriptionist for about 6 mos FT, and 4 mos PT as well, in 2006. (you may remember me now from that background). I have 4 kids ages (almost)2 through 10.

Anyway, I am at a crossroads again. I cannot do med transcription full-time. I got an overuse injury in my shoulder and I felt like I was melting into my chair. Anything else I am qualified for at this point in my life pays little. (I know what MAs make).

I have a short list of careers I am considering, based on my skills and interests, and the ability to find a job each time we move.

MA has made it back on the list, not because its my life's dream to work in a doctor's office, but because of the many different skills an MA is taught; I'd be flexible enough to look beyond clinics and private offices. I need to verify with you guys that I am on the right track with my thought process. It is my impression that as a MA, I could apply for not only MA jobs, but also things like phlebotomist or EKG tech. What else is there? I know a couple of local hospitals hire MA grads as Patient Care Techs and waive the experience requirement.

I'm just trying to figure things out. I can't spend money on a program and not be able to work. (I have a husband who thinks I should just get my real estate license - which is something I definitely do not want to do as a job).

Thanks for any feedback.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: Its been a long time; have some questions

Hey, just wanted to add we *might* be moving to Las Vegas next year and curious if anyone attended College of Southern Nevada. They have a CAAHEP accredited program and the tuition seems pretty reasonable (plus I might get credit for my previous med terms and MS Office classes).

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no