This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Subcutaneous Atrophy

I've seen a lot of information online about subq atrophy as a result of Steroid injections, but I haven't heard much on what CMAs and nurses have to say on it. In the clinic where I work we use the longest needles available and still have patients with dimples from these injections. Does anyone else have this problem? I could use some advice as the doctor I work for has none to offer.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Subcutaneous Atrophy

I wonder if has more to do with the actual drug going into the patient and their reaction to it, as you stated the needles are going in as deep as you can,

in 1987 Hulk Hogan recived a steroid shot from another wrestler in the behind and the needle BROKE!!! because of the scar tissue from previous injections this not only happens from the needle but the drug to.

I dont know what your clinic dose in respect to the patients that recive this treatment, but i know certain steroid shots can react diffrently in diffrent people

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

one side effect in some patients is loss of muscle and or fat in an area getting an enjection of steroids(again depends on the type of steroid)

i have a limited knowledge of steroids and injectibles so ive seen some of the things you wrote about, but each case is diffrent

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Only after chronic use. A lot of doctors will inject into the Bursa and these injections last several months. If a muscle is used its good to rotate the site too.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN, CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula