This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ECG

Hi,
I have question about ECG issues. Sometime, I have male patients who have very hairy chest. It’s hard to put leads on the chest. The CMA with whom I worked suggested to stretch the skin and place the leads on skin, because we are to busy and do not have time to shave patients chest areas and everybody is in a rush,too. We must use only disposable razors at doc. office, because it does not spread infection. The male patients do not like idea of shaving chest area. I still have to get ECG, even if pt is very hairy. Any other suggestions.
Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA,CPT,CET,CNA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? per deim

Re: ECG

Have you tried cleaning the area with a skin prep pad.
If to hairy:
Try parting the hair before placing the electrode on.Or,trimming only the effective area with scissors to get closer to the skin.
You"ll need the pt. consent to remove body hair.
Explain to the pt. why you need to trim the area.
remind him will grow back.(it's not summer yet).

Your Professional Title/Credentials: R.M.A.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes