This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Support or lack of it from family/friends

Just curious whether you had support or lack of it from family/friends when you decided to go to MA school.

The one that worries me the most is my husband. He is in the military, and that has impacted my education and career, between his odd work hours, many weeks and months away from home, and moving often, with no control over where we go. Consequently I have mostly been a stay at home mom.

So I am thinking about doing the MA program. I know academically I can do it (I did really well in all of my preBSN courses before I switched majors so I have some background knowledge of things like med terms and A&P and patho), and I think it would give me multiple skills, and MAs are used everywhere. Even if we went overseas, where there usually are not civilian patient care jobs on base, I could do office work and volunteer at the clinic. It would be relatively fast to complete.

A few years back I mentioned it to my husband as something I was considering and he told me I would get bored by the work and did not think it would be a good idea. I don't think he will be supportive this time either. He's trying to steer me towards things like getting a real estate license (not something I am interested in at all) or working at the daycare center on base (because my 4 kids don't make me nuts enough???) or working somewhere like Wal-Mart and hoping they will see how wonderful I am and promote me up the ranks .

I know there has got to be someone out there who decided to go to MA school and managed to convince a naysayer that it was a good idea. What can I do? I try to be supportive of him and work things out and compromise but I honestly don't think he has any clue what its like to be in my shoes (with the moving, and having to find a way to work/school around childcare hours and having been out of work for so long).

Thanks for letting me vent. I'd say that is one of the biggest things holding me back. When we move, if we go where I am hoping we go, I am going to try to speak to an advisor at the community college that has the MA program (it has a ton of other allied health and nursing programs as well) to make sure this is the right choice.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: Support or lack of it from family/friends

From the suggestions your husband has offered, I'm wondering if he is concerned for the kids and who will parent them if you're working 8-5? It's a legitimate concern for a military husband and father of 4.
As for seeking support, aren't there any military mother's groups?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

Rena
From the suggestions your husband has offered, I'm wondering if he is concerned for the kids and who will parent them if you're working 8-5? It's a legitimate concern for a military husband and father of 4.

As for seeking support, aren't there any military mother's groups?

See though, the suggestions he has made would have me working weird hours - daycare opens at 6 or 7, retail can be 24 hours, real estate you have to do showings when you can. Who's going to get the kids off to school or to bed at night? At least during the day they can be at school and then in an afterschool program. There would be no one to parent them if I was at work at 630am or in the evening or on a Saturday.

I really have no clue where he is going with his suggestions except that he thinks I will become independently wealthy selling real estate or something?

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

My wife wasn't completely on board with my decision either. Of course, it didn't help my case that I have been saying for quite a few years how much I hate my current job. That I wanted to find something within the healthcare field.
I thought it would be a great idea if I took her with my on all of the school visits. This would give her a close up, first hand knowledge of what it all entails. She could ask any questions she might have.
That was probably the best idea I have ever thought of. After our school visits, we both sat down and went through everything and made a joint decision on what school to enroll. I didn't have to convince her at all. She was just as much convinced and thrilled about making this move as I was.
Just something to think about. It helped my naysayer.

Are You Still In School? yes

Thanks Russ. I think you are on to something.

When we met I was finishing up my degree (in Health Sciences) and refreshing my EMT-Basic (I did not work as one but wanted to keep the cert active in case it would help in getting a job later on). He liked how jazzed up I was about what I was studying and my interest in health care. I think he appreciated my positive outlook and ambition.

If I could get him to see that side of the choice I am trying to make I bet it would help. I think part of it is the difference in work personalities that we have. He thrives under uncertainty and high pressure and variety, and I prefer to know what I am doing (to a fault) and to do it regularly.

Are You Still In School? not yet in school

Are You Working? no