This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMA versus LPN versus RN

I really want to go back to school for nursing. I work from home doing medical transcription to be home with my 2 kids. I have most of the prereq classes done so would basically be starting the nursing program. However, there is a 1 year wait list here. My question is...I have to do the school part-time because I have to still work full time. I cannot decide if I want to do the CMA, LPN, or RN. I have heard that LPNs mostly work in nursing homes, and I would like to work in either a clinic or hospital. I have heard CMA's dont make any money, etc. The RN program would probably take me 4 years to do part-time so I'm lost at what to do. Any suggestions??? Thank you!!!!

Are You Working? Yes

Re: CMA versus LPN versus RN

Well the MA would probably be faster but if you really want to study nursing, the 4 yrs would be worth it in the end.

Something to think about to help you with your decision:

I have heard RNs in clinics don't get to do a lot of patient care because they are busy with administrative work and phone triage, and basically doing things they are needed to do because of their license. So, if you do work in a clinic as an RN bear that in mind (plus there are many more hospital jobs for RNs).

Conversely, some places it is difficult for an MA to get a job in a hospital, and often when they do are not used to the full extent of the MA training.

As far as the LPN, depends on where you live what LPNs are hired to do. Some places they are used more extensively and you can work in a hospital doing certain things. It varies a lot by where you are so take location into account with any information you get. Best to ask the college where most LPN grads are getting jobs. You could bridge to RN from it. The pay is better than MA pay.

So you are on the right track with considering where you want to work. One more thing I have heard a lot from MAs is "I like my job but the pay stinks" and then from RNs "My job is really stressful, I get treated poorly, but I can support my family". (I want to know where the happy medium is!)

Good luck with your decision. I did some medical transcription from home (6 mos full time, 4 mos part time) - the pay was pretty similar to MA pay but the work was really monotonus (ortho clinic transcription - easy but the same stuff over and over).

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: CMA versus LPN versus RN

I would suggest getting a aid job in the hospital while you wait. Many will train you on the job. Then when you get into nursing school you will have the perfect school job. Many people in my nursing program worked as aids/UAP while in school and it really helped them get a job after we graduated because the hospital already knew them.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN, CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Certified Doula, OB nurse in July