This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RMA to RN?

Can you go from RMA to RN? How much of the courses will transfer? I'm almost done with medical assisting school and we are moving to a remote military post, the hospital there says they dont hire MA's, so I need to know if its possible to get an RN or LPN lisence with an associates in allied health (program that im in now)? Please Help!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA Student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? not yet

Re: RMA to RN?

brzubek
Can you go from RMA to RN? How much of the courses will transfer? I'm almost done with medical assisting school and we are moving to a remote military post, the hospital there says they dont hire MA's, so I need to know if its possible to get an RN or LPN lisence with an associates in allied health (program that im in now)? Please Help!

There is no such thing as a MA to RN...none of your MA classes transfer except for the the ones that you needed in addition for your associates degree like the basic ones like sociology, psychology ect. You have to take all the same class as everyone else.

Being an MA is not a stepping stone to RN or LPN but it can help you get into a program that uses merit and likes to take people with hands on patient care experience.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN, CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula, starting as OB Nurse in July

Where are you going? If there are no off base medical offices, which are the usual settings for MAs, then does the hospital have lab assistant, or patient care tech, or phlebotomy positions? Is it an MTF? If so, check with Spectrum Healthcare Resources - they do the hiring and staffing of civilians at many military bases in the states.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

And I second what HOW said.

Best to find out from a program advisor at a nursing school at your new location which arts and sciences classes will transfer.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

heartsopenwide

There is no such thing as a MA to RN...none of your MA classes transfer except for the the ones that you needed in addition for your associates degree like the basic ones like sociology, psychology ect. You have to take all the same class as everyone else.

Being an MA is not a stepping stone to RN or LPN but it can help you get into a program that uses merit and likes to take people with hands on patient care experience.

Hi! I was planning on going to school to be an MA. starting soon, like Monday! My goal was to go back after a while to be an RN. but after reading what you wrote I think going to school for RN now would be the better choice. Do you agree? Knowing that nothing would transfer was a huge eye opener. I already have 54 hours of college under my belt. And I know some of the classes Ive taken are needed in the Nursing program at the Comm College near me. Also, I know that the Comm College is well known for their Nursing program. Thank you for writing that on here!