This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For those MAs who went back to school

I have applied to a local community college for their evening/weekend MA program. I originally wanted to do lpn but could not find an evening/weekend program since I cannot afford to quit my job to go back to school. My question is for those MAs who went back to school to get your lpn or rn...how did you do it. Were you able to work and go to school?

Are You Still In School? not right now

Are You Working? yes

Re: For those MAs who went back to school

I'am one class away from finishing up my MA school and then onto my externship. I have been doing alot of research on nursing schools as I want to work towards my degree in nursing. The stumbling block I seem to come across lately is that, its nearly impossible to work fulltime and attend nursing school. I attended an orientation last week at a local university here in Florida for their nursing program. The one thing that the admissions person kept on harping about is that you are setting yourself up to fail if you plan on working fulltime and attending nursing school. She said it can't be done. I beg to differ. (I hope) Needless to say, those negative comments have me scratching them off my list of potential schools. Is there really any truth to what she said??

Are You Still In School? yes

There were plenty of people in my nursing program that worked full time. Mostly in care homes. It is hard. You wont be able to do it as an MA unless you work part time and they are ok with you changing your schedule over semester. Nursing school takes a lot of time and is not double with a full time 9-5 job like medical assisting.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN, CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? NO

It is possible to work full time and go to school both, as long as the schedule allows. I will start working part time in a few weeks while I finish my coursework during the day.

It can be done!!

Just a follow-up to my last post here. I have spoken to a handful of nurses that I personally know. They said that working fulltime and attending nursing school can be done. They said it will take alot of self-discipline to do it.
My goal is to work as an MA fulltime while attending nursing school.
I just found out about a local community college here in Central Fla. that offers evening classes and weekend clinicals. WOW!! I just need to get my pre-req classes finished and then apply for their nursing school.
My point I guess is, "If there is a will, there's a way".

Are You Still In School? yes