This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NHA- Anyone

Has anyone heard of National Healthcare Assosciation for certification?

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: NHA- Anyone

No sorry....never heard of that one.

Jenny

thanks for the response...no one ever seems to reply

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma

Are You Working? yes

Yes, I have my certifications through NHA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CMAA, CBCS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

I HEARD OF THEM BUT DON'T KNOW MUCH EXCEPT WHAT READ ON THEIR WEBSITE.
HERE'S THE LINK IF ANYONE CARES TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THEM:

http://www.nhanow.com/med-assist.html

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA-LPN

Are You Working? VOLUNTEERING

I passed the NHA CCMA exam in April 2006. Right after that we moved to Florida and I tried to get a job.....the reason I wasn't hired and the major stumbling block is my lack of experience...did a 6 week internship through my MA course, but never had a paid job. So I have definitely heard of the NHA and would like to recertify.....I would really like to work as a Medical Assistant. I have been working at other jobs, but none in the medical field. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a step in the right direction might be? I paid $6,500 for my education and just can't afford to go through another complete MA course....but what avenue would get me hired?

Are You Working? No

I have the same experience as you, dont feel so alone now. I have applied for hundreds of jobs throughout NY, NC, SC, GA, TN, KS and no luck due to lack of experience. I took my exams through NHA and certified as CCMA, CMAA and CBCS but still have had no luck in gaining employment. I would also appreciate any insight from other CMA's.

Are You Working? No

Thanks for the post....I don't really know anyone in my situation so this forum is great. There must be something that can be done to help the situation....you have to be able to enter the field without experience - it doesn't make sense. Every career has a starting point. Anyone have any ideas?

Are You Working? no

I was an MA in the field for 3.5 years. I know work at my alumni as a clinical coordinator. We are finding that most new grads start out as direct care workers or home health aids and then move into a MA role. Try that route!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-NHA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Yes

I have been a hha and cna for over 5 year and i can tell you that this does help you get a job as an ma. Ive been hearing people say that having direct care experience will give you a leg up and this absolutely not true. Anybody who says this is not telling the truth. You will have to get hired by a dr that is willing to train you and trust me there is not a whole lot around these days. My best advice is, if its not to late, go to school to be an lpn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? NO

ladicee27
My best advice is, if its not to late, go to school to be an lpn

Why on earth would I want to be an LPN? Not dissing LPNs, just why?

Pppppppptttttth!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Jeff here is your answer:
i believe there still people who like to doing more than what a ma is qualified to do.
some people still like to do bedside nursing and being more in touch and helping the pts.
i enjoyed the pt.contact know that in a small i was helping someone and maybe changing their lives in a some way.an for a fact i know that i have had a hand in changing some peoples lives.An it's a good feeling!
that's why maybe some people would rather be a Nurse than a ma.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA-LPN( RETIRED)

Are You Working? no

Well, I guess what I was trying to get at is... if you want to be a nurse, why spend the money for MA school?

If I couldn't be an MA, Nursing school isn't even an option or on the radar.

MA school ≠ Nursing school

Alot of poeple where led to believe that lpn are "dying out" and being a ma was the way to go. I was never bashing ma. Why would I, im a ma but if i knew ahead of time how hard it would be to get ahead in the field, i probally would of did things differently. Also alot of people go to ma school to figure where in the medical field they want to go, whether straight nursing or the administrative side. It helped me and i decided i wanted to be a nurse mananger. My problem is that i think people are giving the wrong info on how easy or hard it is to get a ma position. Its not easy for alot of people and telling when schools are telling students that they are guaranteed a job after gradutation is totally wrong

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? NO

Unfortunately, a lot of schools hype up what graduates do. My cousin bought in to the hype of an airline school back in the 80s. You can't prove it but, they didn't hire big girls... even as ticketing agents, at the time.

There is a huge thirst for nursing school students. Some are suited to the job others aren't. Luckily there are enough jobs that require a nursing degree that don't need people skills or technical ability for folks who aren't suited to do real nursing, they can work in HR and fubar that. I'm not bitter about my last job not working out but I wasn't the only one there not suited to the position

I hear so many folks who are MAs or trained as MAs say, they should have gone to nursing or want to go to nursing school. If being a nurse is what you wanted to do... well why get on an MA forum and say it. Are there really that many MAs who really have a desire to be a nurse?

I guess, I must have put more thought into being an MA from-the-get-go. I literally took half a dozen assessments at the local community college and the community services center, to decide what to do with the rest of my life. I spent a long time assessing and searching for education that would match things that bring me the most personal satisfaction. Based on an assessment Medical Assisting popped up as a possible career, then I interviewed many MAs. I started at my PCPs office with his MA and one of her coworkers, who is a guy.

In the past, I have done the supervisory thing and have no desire to be a supervisor, manager or team leader, under any condition.

If you want to be an MA: don't give up, trust in your training, build your network and remain positive you will find what you want. If another position is for you, go for the brass ring, educate yourself or what ever it takes and make your own luck.

jeff