This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Concerns about Job Corps and becoming an MA

I've read a lot about these MA certifications, courses and degrees on various forums and how one looking to be an MA should just get an RN degree or go to community college.

Now, my situation is, I'm 21 and I'm about to interview for Job Corps. I moved back to my home state to go to this location, because they offer an MA program(CNA and pharmacy tech courses are also available, but after much research, I think the MA course is the one for me) and it's something I'm really interested in. I can't afford to just go to college and get an associates and then bachelors in anything right now, and I'm not stable enough to try. Job Corps will help me not only get my HS diploma, but will train me much like a trade school, and I won't have to pay ten grand to do it. I will be eating, breathing, sleeping, pretty much living this.

My question is, would a job corps graduate be taken seriously as an MA? There is no determined amount of time it takes to graduate, because job corps is a self paced program and could take anywhere from 9 months to 2 years. I'm terrified of investing 2 years to be told upon entering the workforce that my training isn't good enough, but at this point, its the only shot I have unless I enter another vocational trade, wait 5 years and then go back to school through a CC.

I'd really like to hear from you if you went through job corps, or if you have hired a job corps graduate, or even if you hire MAs, and what kind of things you look for when hiring someone regardless of educational background.

For those who are curious, Job Corps is a no-cost education and career technical training program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor that helps young people ages 16 through 24 improve the quality of their lives through career technical and academic training.

Sorry to be a pain with my novel up there, but I figured who would know better than actual medical assistants?

Re: Concerns about Job Corps and becoming an MA

My son and nephew did Job Corps. I think the answer is how seriously you take the training. My son did well and I believe came out a better person for it. He had training as a wildland fire fighter. My nephew is still lost, has little or no ambition and lives with my elderly mom and dad. He got training in some kind of culinary trade.

Having seen the results of Job Corps, I think it is all about how motivated and serious you take the program.
Will your instructors recommend you? most will if you do well.
Will your externship site recommend you? Some will.
Can you keep your eye on the goal? Your have to answer for yourself.

only time will tell.

Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

I'm going regardless because I can't keep up very well without my high school diploma. It's a wonderful opportunity, IMO, and I plan to take advantage of the 3 years I have left to be eligible.

Truth be told, I was very surprised I can get MA training there at all. I thought it would be all plumbing, culinary and business communications, which are all very fine things, but certainly not something I'm passionate about.

I'm just nervous that it will be seen as a Mickey Mouse diploma, regardless of how hard I work. I haven't been able to find many people around the internet to talk to about job corps on the whole, let alone MA training.

No, I don't think that it will be seen as such (lesser, or Mickey Mouse diploma, as you put it). If you graduate with excellent grades it may actually leave the exact opposite impression. You may get big Kudos.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin