This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
specialties..different work places

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me the differences between working in different settings example:clinic vs. hospital etc. What different settings can you work in (specialize) and do you have to have additional schooling for them as CMA and the pay?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: na

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes not in medical field yet

Re: specialties..different work places

I have started to reply to this post several times, each time I ditch the effort and start over.

It seems like you have a lot of questions and in your last sentence it looks like you are asking three distinct things.

First: If you get trained as a CMA or RMA, the school will give you the basic tools. You aren't going to learn everything you need to know there but it is a start and will get you going.

Second: Work settings, MAs in general work in doctors offices. Specialties depend on the doctor, for instance an internist vs. an orthopedist. An internal medicine doctors MA will support different procedures based on the type of needs of the patients that go to see them. The basic training for an MA enables them to be able to help just about any practice, no additional schooling is necessary. However if you work for an Ortho doc they may request you attend a casting seminar, but in any situation the doctor could request you to get a specific training to assist in the office.

Pay varies on the area you are in, do not expect a specialty to pay more.

I hope I have helped you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)