This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Changing medical specialities.....

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to successfully change over to a different medical specialty. I have been in FP for the last 4 years and I feel I really need a change (Pediatrics, as much as I love kids, arent exactly my thing) and the field of medicine that really interests me is mental health.

My second and third choices would be adult medicine and geriatrics.

I don't want to become an RN/LPN, however I am seriously considering going back for a BA in psychology.

I have an associates in science of liberal arts....Im not sure what I can do with that either.

Any advice on how to bridge this gap? Its a shame because I have a very dedicated and loyal patient base, but sadly the current clinic where I work at is changing much too fast and is slowly becoming a "puppy mill" (focus on speed, not on the patient). The provider I currently work for really likes me alot, we are great friends and do things outside of the office. Its an assistant's dream come true, however the clinical managers...I am not sure about this...feel threatened or just don't like me because me and my provider do things a little differently then other providers in our clinic.

So if I decide to leave this clinic, I want to jump the gap from FP to another branch of medicine, where I am strictly treating adults/adolescents and geriatrics.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!! Its really appriciated, your my last hope :-)

-Marc

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes, Family Practice

Re: Changing medical specialities.....

Many mental health hospitals have techs. You could try that. Psych degrees are hard. Most people will tell you you can not make any money unless you get your Phd. What state are you in?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, CLD, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes

I am in Washington State, I know our law states in order to bill insurance and be a therapist/counselor, a master's or PhD must be obtained.

However, I dont exactly want to be a counselor, I would be extremely happy just being a tech.

Any ideas on how to go about this?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes, Family Practice

My former husband is in the mental health field. Male techs are definitely sought after, mostly because of their strength in learning take-downs.

Since techs are part of the nursing staff, I would suggest speaking to the DON or charge nurse about your desire to be a tech.

Good luck!

Jenny