This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Certification as a new grad..

I graduated last February (2009) and was not hired from my externship. The practice had just lost a provider and did not need additional help. I've been on a few interviews but not much of anything after that. Does it actually help to be certified without experience. I hate to spend additional money on it if I'm never going to get a job in that field. Sadly most of us are not working as MA's from our class. You have to know someone somewhere otherwise you're out of luck. The field is growing but you better have experience or know someone who will train a new grad. It's a shame that i wasted a lot of money for nothing.. too many cookie cutter schools that don't train well. If you are planning to go to the Arizona College of Allied Health, please rethink it..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Diploma MA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? yes.. not as an MA

Re: Certification as a new grad..

Sorry to hear that.....I am really hesitant when any school promises to get you a job after you graduate. Most of the time, it is a way to lure you to go to their school.

If I were starting this process over again, I would ask around in the medical offices about which MA schools in the area produce the best graduates, then go with that school. I am extremely fortunate that the community college program I am in has an extremely good reputation for the quality of its graduates. Practices in my area looking for MAs give grads from my school second and third looks.

Jenny

Are You Still In School? Yes