This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scope of pracice for MA

I work for a physician who want our MA to start IV's in a surgical center. She is very good,love to work with her. Will and capable of doing what a nurse does but is she covered. And also what about assisting in EGD's in an ambulator center. She and I don't know if this is within her scope of practice.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: R.N.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Scope of pracice for MA

I don't know what state you are in, but this is the statute regarding Medical Assistants in the state of Florida:

"Under the direct supervision and responsibility of a licensed physician, a medical assistant may undertake the following duties:

a. Performing clinical procedures, to include
performing aseptic procedures, taking vital signs, preparing patients for the physician's care,
performing venipunctures and non-intravenous injections, observing and reporting patients' signs or symptoms
b. Administering basic first aid
c. Assisting with patient examination or treatments
d. operating office medical equipment
e. Colleting routine laboratory specimens as directed by the physician
f. Administering medication as directed by the physician
g. Performing basic laboratory procedures
h. Performing office procedures including all general administrative duties required by the physician
i. Performing dialysis procedures; including home dialysis

I seriously doubt that any state will let starting IV's be in the scope of practice, but I can't say for sure. As far as the EGD procedures, it MIGHT be covered under the item D in this list.

It would be best for you to check with your state's medical practice statutes.

Are You Still In School? Yes