This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMA scope of practice in other states

I am a CMA in WI, and I have always found it intresting how each state is so diffrent in respect to what a medical assistant can and or can not do. For example, I perform venipuncture, escript/write scripts, numb my patients for general office surgery, dictation, start and stop IV infusion, draw up and administer injections, counsel, assist with surgery ranging from excesions, ED&C, shave bx and punch bx. We see 6 to 8 patients an hour for every physician, and also work non doctor days removing sutures and administering light therepy.
Just curious what other CMA's do in other states, we joke that we are over worked and under paid

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CNA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: CMA scope of practice in other states

Wow - but then again, not surprised! You have busy days, no doubt. Sounds like you really enjoy what you are doing. As you know, there still are winded debates whether a medical assistant can or cannot start IV infusions... and most are unsure what the rules are.

By the way! When you say, we remove sutures on non-doctor days, who is the supervising capacity present in the office?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Re: CMA scope of practice in other states

We are busy, and as for supervising during a suture removal? It is usually just one of us there on non Dr. days, so we don't really have any supervision. The question has arrised as to weather I as a CMA or my fellow coworkers who are MA's can/should be working non doctor days, but so far no one has said otherwise, and I work for a very large coperation. From others I have talked with it seems the laws and regulations are much more lax here in WI then they are for say a CMA in CA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CNA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes