This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone know the good schools for MA in Sacramento

Hi, My wife and I have visited a couple of schools in the area for their MA programs. We looked at Western Career College. They wasted no time getting us in filling out paperwork and had my wife taking the entry test within a 1/2 an hour. They didnt show any concern with really explaining the Medical field or what the advantages are to being an MA, LVN, or RN. The lady had a little chart with the various paths that one could take to become an RN at their school but had no real information. My wife had been through the interview, taken the test and met the Financial aid person within an hour and a half of us walking through the front door. And we were a walk in with no appointment! On top of that, after conversing about my wife's best career path choice based on her desires and time, money, etc., We decided that the MA path was best. So the lady took my wife off to take the test but purposely gave her the test for perspective RN students instead of the MA entry test. My wife was one answer short of passing it. The lady said that she wanted to see if my wife could have passed the RN test, considering her desire to become a nurse. Is that a little kooky? or is it just me? To be perfectly honest with you, we were still planning on going forward and I suggested to my wife that we visit another school that I had called earlier. We set an appointment and went to NCE in Citrus Heights, Ca. the next day. The lady shared that the industry was rapidly changing, and that NCE was in good with the hospitals in the area. She shared with us all the information that Western did not and we felt that NCE was probably the better choice. The school has been around for like 25 years or longer in the area and has had the MA course from the start apparently. Does anyone know anything about NCE or do you know of which school is the best? I would appreciate any help that I could get. We just dont want to make the mistake of attending a school with a bad rap. Thanks.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Im looking into a career change for both my wife and myself

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: Anyone know the good schools for MA in Sacramento

Listen to your instincts! While I cannot, and will not recommend a specific school let me share this little bit of wisdom:

"The BEST school is the one that's right for you!" You have already done a lot of things right... which is visited MORE than one school and asked LOTS of questions. Also: "What is the school's accreditation status? Is it accredited by the Department of Education? CAHEP? Which nationally recognized certification exams do you sponsor? CMA? RMA? CCMA? Phlebotomy(very important for California!). Externship? Success rate? Job placement?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Re: Anyone know the good schools for MA in Sacramento

Thank you so much, I myself have been through some trade school issues in the past, I just want my wife to find and attend the right one. Trusting our own instincts is good advice although here we were about to go ahead with NCE the school that was looking and feeling good to us and i just learned some disturbing things about it that has changed our minds. That was close. So here we are still looking. All the schools are certified and have either the CMA or the RMA thing going for them although all of these requirements say nothing about the respect the school may heave with hospitals etc. This is tough. After reading a lot of what the threads on this forum say, my wife is starting to doubt if she really wants to step into this field or not. I told her to stick to her guns and do the research. She was made for this and I think will make a world class RN someday if she can just get her foot in the door. I know that there are a lot of folks going through the same doubt, many who have already completed an MA course and cannot find work. What I told my wife was to believe in herself and that desire that drove her to want to get into the medical field. Stick to the plan and just know that it will happen. Do everything in her power to further her knowledge and continue to learn and it will happen. I know it will happen. We just need to make the right choice out the gate. Thanks again. Any other sudgestions would be fantastic. Blessings. Vinn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Im looking into a career change for both my wife and myself

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no