This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LPN (makes more money and have more knowledge of the medical field)

I'm a CNA which is almost the same title as a MA. Same knowledge. I am working now making $17hr. with only 3 yrs. experience and will start school for LPN in January and LPN starting rate is $25hr.

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? YES

Re: LPN (makes more money and have more knowledge of the medical field)

REBECCA
I'm a CNA which is almost the same title as a MA. Same knowledge. I am working now making $17hr. with only 3 yrs. experience and will start school for LPN in January and LPN starting rate is $25hr.

Good for you, nursing school is hard and being an LPN is going to be hard work! Yes an LPN will be paid more than an CMA, an LPN has a license and certainly more education than an CMA. But this is a Medical Assisting site. And no, a CNA is not almost the same thing and they certainly do not have the same knowledge of a CMA. A CNA takes one class, if at all; does basic patient care such as bed baths, assisting patients to the bath room, taking vitals, ect. In some hospitals they will let CNAs do BGs with extra training, but that is the extent of the "invasive procedures" a CNA can do. A CMA on the other hand goes to school for a year taking multiple courses. She/he does vitals; injections; blood draws; ear lavages; suture removals; EKGs,referrals; POCT such as dip U/A rapid strep, mono-spot, pregnancy testing,drug testing; cast removal; calls in refills; makes referrals; assists the physician with procedures such as biopsy, paps, cast applications, sigmoidoscopy, and other office procedures.

The CNA and CMA are like night and day.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, CCMA-C, CLD (CBI)

Are You Working? L&D Nurse

REBECCA

Wow, are you uninformed! Heartswideopen explained it well.

You might do better finding a CNA forum to brag on.

Are You Still In School? Yes

CMAs do have to have a lot of knowledge! I am going for a 2yr degree. I will be out in 1.5yrs bc I had some classes done already.