This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keyboarding and taking vitals

Hi, I am taking a keyboarding class, and I am so used to the way that I type that its hard for me to keep my hands still totally (my hands start to hurt) and I am alot slower the "right way",and less accurate. Anyone have any tips??? Also, any tips for someone starting out taking Blood pressures? Thank you!

Re: Keyboarding and taking vitals

I can't help you with the keyboarding thing, but there are a few things I've learned about taking BPs.

1. Make sure you have a GOOD stethoscope. Hearing the sound is very important. I learned this the hard way.
2. I looked up some videos on YouTube that demonstrated some BP's that really helped.
3. Practice practice practice! I bought my own stethoscope and sphygmomanometer to practice on victims--oops, I mean family and friends! :)

Hope this helps.

Jenny

Are You Still In School? Yes

Try to do your best as far as getting the typing class done... even if you are the slowest (which I was also!!!). All you want is to pass with a decent score. Once you got this under your belt and out of the way, I assure you, you can go back to typing the way that you are used to (or will work best for you!). No one at your future jobs will care.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

thanks for the input! Well in this program we do not have to get the bp cuff etc. until we go on our externship . I however would like to get one before when I can get some money (anyone know how much a descent one cost?)so I can practice, because im not sure of how much we will be practicing in school?

My wife claims she has never paid more than $50 for a stethoscope.

I paid about $60 for mine, after trying both of my wife's, I got one similar to one of hers. It isn't necessary to break the bank to get a decent stethoscope.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Jeff with the three F's is right! You can get a good quality stethoscope for around $50. Litmann is a good brand as well....

Jenny

Are You Still In School? Yes