This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
long time no post, and some good news

hello all,
i have some good news,(but PLEASE!!! hear me out before u judge)

I have found a job as a medical assistant at an office about 2 miles from my home.Its a single doctors office bout 25 patients a day. im working 40 hrs. and i accpeted a very entry level price for my pay i accepted 6 hr. Ok time to explain

before anyone hops on my head understand that i have been out of school close to TEN YEARS!!! my skills are very outdated i have next to no experience

the doctor was very impressed with my interview and when the topic of pay came up he was concerned about how much i should make. I explained that i feel 6 hr would be ok for the 1st 90 days. he said he cant do that because of the minimum wage law, i explained that he may pay me with a personal check untill my pay warrents an increase to minimum wage or possibly more, I told him that this law IN MY OPNION has kept me from finding entry level work because my experience and skills do not warrant a high price tag

with the current wage being 7:40 hr in Michigan we are saying that anyone who's skills are worth less than that ammount cant work, simple as that, hard to debate that i feel.

I'am very happy at my job (sure i dont break the bank and i drive a cab on weekends for extra $$$) but i have my foot in the door, ive been there since late july and have been doing great.

now u may ask, how much are others makeing in that office than? well i seen a pay stub for another girl at she had 12 hr (i know thats a big no no) so when my skills improve i may warrant that much but im getting experience. and i can say im a medical assiostant.

Please dont think im trying to stir the pot or pick a fight, im not, im just happy to be working and i feel all employees and employeers should have the freedom to decide how much they should be paid based on experience and education

take care
Nate

Re: long time no post, and some good news

Nate,

That is great news!!

IDK, why you are hung up on the pay thing... but I'm glad it has worked out for you.

Please let us know how things work out in the long run

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Congratulations, Nate. Your persistence has paid off!

I agree with Jeff...not understanding why you have to take less that minimum wage to prove yourself, but it's your job, so....good luck!

Jenny

Are You Still In School? Yes

JennyB, SMA
Congratulations, Nate. Your persistence has paid off!

I agree with Jeff...not understanding why you have to take less that minimum wage to prove yourself, but it's your job, so....good luck!

Jenny

i take it as a foot in the door my skills are not yet worth that much to my employeer so i took a pay rate that mirrors my skills

i like my job to

Nate, I am so glad and happy for you. Indeed, that's good news, and it is good to hear you are happy. Thank you for not forgetting about us here, who were wondering how you was doing since we last heard from you.

It never fails, people who persist will eventually succeed. Finally you get to do what you so love. Congratulations.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Nate. I will never agree with you on your anti-minimum wage thing, personally I think you should have taken minimum wage at least...to take less makes you look bad, like you are not even worth minimum wage (which I think you are); even if you have not had experience in ten years...even people at McDonalds get Minimum wage while they are training...but it is a mute point, we will have to agree to disagree. I am just so glad to hear you have a job...and so close to home!!! Are you getting benefits? How much experience did the girl making 12/hr have? Did they not tell you what you will get after your 90 days? Hope it works out for you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

thanks for all the feedback, i understand we will not agree on the MW deal but my side on this is 2 fold, and please understand im very respectful with my responce and im not biteing heads about it :D

1, the MW was holding me back because of my skills being so old. i should and everyone should have the right to accpet any wage they see fit, not an inflated goverment pay scale

2,there should not even be a MW at all in a free country employeer and employee should decide the wage not goverment

you had asked about the girl makeing 12 dollars she had started a few weeks before me right off her externship but her skills are fresh as is her externship experience so she is defnatily worth the 12 hr (btw 13 is the max that the doctor pays)

i will be able to ask for a raise on november 3rd
im looking for about 8hr and i feel ill be able to get it (its all about experience and earning a fair wage)I feel ill be able to work my way up to 12 -13 an hr in a few years

i do not get health insurance untill my 90 days

take care
Nate