This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nate Please stop down gradeing the practice

Tihs is a resonce to Nate and his breaking of labor laws to get a job.
Nate, i understand you dont like labor laws but they MUST BE FOLLOWED!!! by you and your employer.
For you to say you are not worth a mere 7:50hr or whatever MW is is pathetic(sp) and aganist the law!!

Your employeer is slaveing you and your to (dare say) stupid to take notice.

this garbage of "i should have a right to take whatever wage i see fit' is nonsence in that case should i as a office manager have a right NOT TO PAY YOU AT ALL!!! ??? with your logic y not huh

look, this whole idea of you take next to nothing brigs wages down for EVERY MA! Because Dr's see that one person dose it so they will know people will sell their skills for less.

you dont like the laws get them changed start a petition. its America you have that right. But dont ruin it for the rest of us

oh, and BTW the dr u work for paying a girl 12 hr with basically the same experience u have is also aganist the law. look you the fair pay act AKA The Lilly Ledbedder equal pay act. but you probably allready know that and consider that communism to.

Im sorrry if i seem harsh but this gets under my skin

Thanks
Pam S

Are You Working? yes Office Manager

Re: Nate Please stop down gradeing the practice

I see where Pam is coming from, and I do not think it's right to be making if im correct less than minimum wage. I do not get how their getting away with this. If they feel like you werent qualified enough then why would they hire you at all, but they did and want to pay you low. Im not saying your wrong because you can have your opinion etc, but I am not willing to go to school for a few years to make 6 something an hour, where I can make $7.80 at the store I work at now.

This opened my eyes a bit. I never considered it from the MD's point of view. Paying Nate less than minimum wage, EVEN IF NATE INITIATED IT, is illegal for the MD to do. If the Dept. of Labor found out about it, he could be heavily fined or even forced to close the practice.

Are You Still In School? Yes

wile i understand everyones concern, i have to stand my ground and ask. what right odse goverment have to say how much i make? that is between me and my employeer. No one else, if my imployeer was to loose his licence for paying me a wage WE BOTH agreed on that IS communism its saying either u pay what goverment says or u cant be in business.

unfair in my eyes.

also to the lady that said that the girl makeing 12 hr is pay bias. again i respectfully dis-agree she maybe worth more where her skills are to where mine are.

best way to fix this problem? get rid of the minimum wage let employees accpet what offer they see fit like i did(u are always free to say no btw) also alot more jobs would open up

again im not writeing with an attitude i just feel strongly in being able to freely accpet an offer i see fit

Are You Working? yes

Nate,before you start stating that the minium wage law is communist, you shuld think about a few things, In the last 60 years the wages went from cents a day to an hourly wage. If the law was not there then, those of us who work would have payrates from mere cents to the hourly. How could we as a nation help support those who make cents support their famlies when we can barely give the those who need help now the help they recieve with out complaining, or totaly ignor the problem?

If you accepted a pay rate lower then what an entry level MA would make for your area, it says two things about you one you have no self esteem, and you are not comfortable with your skills.

Please step back and look at your situation you are in and if you have a family, how more you would be able to for them if you were making the basic entry level wage.

Respectfully,
Angi

Your Professional Title/Credentials: 8 weeks from Graduations

Are You Working? NO

i understand where u are coming from but i think these 2 videos may clear this up better than i can

danni please allow these two links to stay up

thanks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8Z_o52s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DS0XXFdyfI

ps
if the links dont work go to youtube type in minimum wage and its the 2nd and 7th videos

thanks
nate

Are You Working? yes Office Manager

The government is not telling you what you and your employer see fit to pay you, it is protecting the employee from slave labor. Minimum wage was set up to protect the employee, not prevent them from getting a wage you "see fit". If there was no minimum wage people at McDonalds would be make $1 an hour, it near impossible to survive on minimum wage as it is. Other countries that do not have labor laws have citizens that live in poverty because there is no minimum wage, the employer does not have to pay it so they don't...why pay minimum wage for the cow when you get get him to do it for pennies? Minimum wage does not need to be removed for the employer to pay what he feels fit to pay the employee...your employer feels the girl you are working with is worth 12/hr so that is what he pays her...if some one ever felt that you were not even fit to make minimum wage that you should not even be there at all! The fact that your employer wanted to pay you well and YOU had to TALK HIM INTO pay you UNDER MINIMUM wage shows your mentality; if I was an office manager I would not hire you at all, some one that does not even value themselves enough to make minimum wage is not anyone I want taking care of me.
If you have not worked for 10 years and do not feel you are worth the full pay because you need refresher training that try to set up a preceptorship in an office and get some free training for a few months; then apply for a job that pays...ABOVE minimum wage.

On a side note, are you getting government assistance in any way? Medicaid, food stamps, ect? Because if you are you are doing a disservice to those that pay taxes that give you those services...which you might not need if you took the 12/her your co-worker is getting

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

heartsopenwide
The government is not telling you what you and your employer see fit to pay you, it is protecting the employee from slave labor. Minimum wage was set up to protect the employee, not prevent them from getting a wage you "see fit". If there was no minimum wage people at McDonalds would be make $1 an hour, it near impossible to survive on minimum wage as it is. Other countries that do not have labor laws have citizens that live in poverty because there is no minimum wage, the employer does not have to pay it so they don't...why pay minimum wage for the cow when you get get him to do it for pennies? Minimum wage does not need to be removed for the employer to pay what he feels fit to pay the employee...your employer feels the girl you are working with is worth 12/hr so that is what he pays her...if some one ever felt that you were not even fit to make minimum wage that you should not even be there at all! The fact that your employer wanted to pay you well and YOU had to TALK HIM INTO pay you UNDER MINIMUM wage shows your mentality; if I was an office manager I would not hire you at all, some one that does not even value themselves enough to make minimum wage is not anyone I want taking care of me.

If you have not worked for 10 years and do not feel you are worth the full pay because you need refresher training that try to set up a preceptorship in an office and get some free training for a few months; then apply for a job that pays...ABOVE minimum wage.

On a side note, are you getting government assistance in any way? Medicaid, food stamps, ect? Because if you are you are doing a disservice to those that pay taxes that give you those services...which you might not need if you took the 12/her your co-worker is getting

no i do have other maeans of makeing money so i dont get assistance

but the point i feel is FREEDOM if someone wants to take a dollar an hr to work at mcdomnalds y not with slave labor if both employee and employeer agree to a wage is that slave labor?

i feel in a few years il lbe worth 12 hr but right now im geting experience and its all good :)

i also feel that its no that i dont have any confedence in my skills i do i just feel my skills are not worth 7:50 hr right now (but they will be soon im sure of it)

see what everybody fails to take note (if you didnt watch the videos) is that there are people that MW hurts because it says if a man is worth 6hr his skills only warrent that means u cant hire him because mwsays 7:50 is the lowest thus priceing him out of the market.

in china the goverment controls everything yes they dont have mw but they also have the goverment controling business, so people can only go so far, i'e poverty you spoke of

here in America oyu have the right o say no to a low paying job and if enough people say no one of two things happen the business raises there wages or goes under.

btw im now multi taksing at work doing injections blood draws front and back office i run like a mad man and i love it :) but most importantly i get EXPERIENCE to than request a higher wage.

its the free market at work.

nate
i also feel that its no that i dont have any confedence in my skills i do i just feel my skills are not worth 7:50 hr right now (but they will be soon im sure of it)

see what everybody fails to take note (if you didnt watch the videos) is that there are people that MW hurts because it says if a man is worth 6hr his skills only warrent that means u cant hire him because mwsays 7:50 is the lowest thus priceing him out of the market.

in china the goverment controls everything yes they dont have mw but they also have the goverment controling business, so people can only go so far, i'e poverty you spoke of

here in America oyu have the right o say no to a low paying job and if enough people say no one of two things happen the business raises there wages or goes under.

btw im now multi taksing at work doing injections blood draws front and back office i run like a mad man and i love it :) but most importantly i get EXPERIENCE to than request a higher wage.

its the free market at work.

some people are over priced at mcdonalds as it is right now lol ever seen the "help" ha

Besides if someone wants to work for 2 dollars an hr y not let them?