This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lincoln Technical Institute in Somerville, MA

Hello Everyone,

Im so glad to have found a forum for Medical Assistants! A little about me. Im a stay at home mom of two little girls. A 3 and a half year old and a 2 and a half year old. I tried going to my local community college in the spring semester this year. I only took two classes, I have no where to put my kids. My family lives in Michigan, I live in Boston, MA with my husband and girls. We recently moved here two years ago, so I dont really know anyone to leave my kids with.Day cares are EXPENSIVE here. about $240 a week per kid. Now with two kids thats alot!

So I went last week to Lincoln Tech. Institute in Somerville, MA. They seem very nice, have a very nice looking campus, nice staff, good classrooms and everything. The reason Im choosing this route over the community college is the time. I could finish in 10 months. I could be done by September of next year.
Today I had an appointment with the financial aid advisor there. I turned in all the paper work and did all the forms. They do accept financial aid. But I would end up paying about $12,000 after I graduate. Financial aid included. My question is What do you all think.
Oh during this time, My husband will take the mornings off to stay with the kids and will then work in the afternoons. We are having a tough time, which is why Im choosing the tech school route.
I cant find anything online or any reviews about the school.

Give me your insights please. I really want to start working to help my husband. Or do you all think I should wait a few more years till my little ones are in school, or just go ahead now. And hopefully by this time next year I could be working?

Also does anyone live in Boston? What was your starting pay as a MA.

Sorry for the long long post everyone!

Looking forward to hearing from you all!!!

Meme

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Future Student

Are You Still In School? Next month

Are You Working? Full Time Mom

Re: Lincoln Technical Institute in Somerville, MA

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

This is just my personal opinion because I was in your shoes..

I, too..have family out of state with no help with daycare. I chose to wait til my youngest started school full time. I got lucky that our school district had a all day kindergarten program therefore I chose to start when she started Kindergarten.

If you are going to a 10 month program, it is an accelerated program. I will not lie, it is pretty tough to juggle kids and go to school. It can be done, but it was a challenge for me. But, I did it and it made me a stronger, more confident person in the end :)

Is this school accredited? You might want to be sure they are. Otherwise, you are just wasting your money. $12,000 for 10 months is a lot of money. My school cost $9500 for 12 months, and it is accredited. Also, be prepared to not see much of your kids and husband as these accelerated programs take every ounce of energy and time that you do have. But, for me..it was worth it.

Good luck in whatever you do decide!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? externship

Hi,

Thanks for answering my question! On the website it says: All Lincoln Educational Services Schools are accredited either by ACCSCT (Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology) or by ACICS (Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools).

So is that good?

WEll, your next step would be to find out whether you can take the AAMA's CMA exam, or the AMT's RMA exam. I went to Porter and Chester Institute in Chicopee, MA. Paid considerably more (yep... that's Massachusetts for you!) but landed an excellent position immediately following my graduation. I know for a fact that RMA's are hired in our region's medical offices, and clinics. However, Baystate Hospital, and Regional Medical Centers want CMA's.

So, that's important to find out.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Well the lady told me that after I graduate I can take an exam and become a certified (i think) medical assistant. Or it might me registered. But I think its certified. Oh but what is the difference between the two. Does the school you go to determine which one you could take? Or is it your decision?

Im confused over which one it was. I guess I will call back and ask.

Thanks for your reply. Its helped!

Btw, do you mind if I ask how much do Medical assistants get paid to start in Massachusetts. I live in Waltham, So Im hoping to work in Cambridge, Somerville, Boston, Newton, Lexington, Waltham, you know somewhere around here. Do you have any idea about what the average start pay is in Mass?

Its expensive to live in Massachusetts!

Thanks again!!!

I to am going to be going to Lincoln Tech for Medical Assisting, although I will be going to the one in Pennsylvania. When I talked to the representative today they said you will receive you RMA once you are done. I know this has probably been asked before, but if a place would prefer you have your CMA can you still aply? I don't seem to see the difference between the two, except who you are certified with. Or would it just be better to get certified with both AMT and AAMA?