This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which Test Would I Take???

I am starting school this monday. Im going to a tech. school for a medical assistant. I will get a diploma once I graduate. They told me after I finish the program I will be able to take the state test. But Im not sure if that will make me CMA or RMA. Under there website it says :
We are accredited either by ACCSCT (Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology) or by ACICS (Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools). Both are listed by the U.S. Department of Education as nationally recognized accrediting agencies.

So what do you all think? Which test would I be able to take?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Future Student

Are You Still In School? Monday??

Are You Working? Full Time Mom

Re: Which Test Would I Take???

No One??

Please :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Future Student

Are You Still In School? Monday??

Are You Working? Full Time Mom

The test you take depends on the school. I graduated from a college that offered the CMA test. They are both voluntary tests and are both accepted by most physicians and facilities. I graduated in 2003. Most schools go with the CMA. I also have a BS in health science so my wages are a little higher. But expect to make around $10.00 to start. Again, depending on where you live.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, BSHS

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

here is some info that might be of help:

Medical Assistant's Information

Web Sites:
1)www.arma-cert.org
2)www.amt1.com
3)www.aama-ntl.org
4)www.ncctinc.com
5)www.nhanow.com

Associations Names:
1)American Registry of Medical Assistants (RMA)
2)American Medical Technologist ( RMA)
3)American Association of Medical Assistants ( CMA-AAMA)
4)National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA)
5)National Healthcare Association ( CCMA)

Abbreviations:
1-2) Registered Medical Assistant
3)Certified Medical Assistant
4)National Certified Assistant
5) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Additional Information:
You should check with your school to see which of these companies they deal or recommend.
Each company has it's own set of criteria for their certification process.
You must search their web sites to see if you and your school you attended
can qualify to take their certification exams.

Also check on their renewal policies. They are all different.

BEST OF LUCK with M.A.Careers

Mitchell Medeiros R.M.A-L.P.N.(Retired)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA-LPN

Are You Working? volunteering

So is your program like a 1 yr. program and then you get a certificate? I am in a degree program, and I was told (Im not sure if its true) that if you are in a certificate program you cant even sit for the CMA EXAM? just wondering about that...?!

No, thats not true. I work with alot of girls that were in a one year certificate program and are now CMA. You take your test before your even done with school. And they make the same amount of money because they are CMA. Trust me, there isnt alot of difference with the certificate and the associates program. I know that from a personal level. I am now in the process of becoming a certified health care instructor.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, BSHS

Are You Working? yes