This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for support and maybe some advice.

This post is going to be long. I apologize. I just need to get this off my chest. I just want to tell my story. I am afraid to speak out, but Hulk Hogan has inspired me to do when he talked about his own recent suicide attempt and I am anonymous here.

When I was in high school, I wanted to be an Army Officer. I wanted to be a Hero, serve my country and travel the world. But the Army would not let me enlist. So I gave up on being able to have a good career and threw in the towel on life. After high school, I just took a great, but very low paying job as a security guard. I worked myself up the ranks and had a good job and met somebody special and got engaged to marry her.
But one day, my fiancee told me she never loved me and broke up with me. A few weeks later, my supervisors on my job lied and caused me to get a disciplinary transfer to another city.
Needless to say, I was hurt, angry, bitter, resentful, and afraid. I became reclusive and shut out my friends. My life became filled with loneliness and apathy and this would last for years. I was never popular and successful and I hated myself for not being that kind of person.
One day, I couldn't take it anymore. So I came up with a plan to borrow a revolver and simply use it to terminate my own life.
But I didn't go through with it. I decided to get help instead, finally. I checked myself into therapy and read a book called "Man's search for meaning" which has started me on a quest to find meaning for my own life. I would later discover a radio personality and celebrity named Tom, who would later save my life.
Tom originally inspired to go to business school, but I looked at what my mother does for a living as a Nurse Case Manager. She would frequently be on the phone at all hours of the day helping people who are hurt find help.
My mother got promoted in her company as the Director of Nursing and she would frequently tell me stories of her staff that would complain of having too high a caseload to handle and sometimes long hours resolving these cases. I also know what it's like to be hurt and alone and afraid and having no help. So I decided that I want to do that career.
At first I wasn't going to go into the Medical Field because I met several Male Chauvinists who would tell me that women should be Medical Assistants and Nurses and that Men should just be doctors because women are the better caregivers and men are better at coming up with treatment plans and running clinics and hospitals. I was also told that Nursing schools are impossible to get into by people in the health care industry. Basically, with me being a Guy, I won't make it in the Medical Field, unless I am a young male with good grades who can get into medical school to become a doctor.
But I would listen to the stories of my hero, the radio personality named Tom who told his audience that he grew up destitute and was raised in the South Bronx of New York City. Tom wanted to be in the radio business ever since he was a kid and was told that by numerous people including people in the radio business that he would never make it. But Tom pursued his dream anyways and not only made it, but he became a self made multi-millionaire and had the number one radio show in Los Angeles which is the most lucrative radio market in the world! Tom also told his audience that they have no idea how good life can get, but that everybody has to fight through life every god**** day!
So I decided that since I have chosen to not give up on life, I will set aside my negative feelings and fear and enroll in a Medical Assisting School to gain experience in the Medical Field and then go to college to get my basics and work toward being a Nurse Case Manager. I not only intend to become a Nurse Case Manager, but I will be the best and I will work 22 hours a day if I have to and make sure every patient I get finds the help he/she needs and that I will be there for them if they need me!
Same thing as a Medical Assistant. Just like I decided that I won't give up on life and being a caregiver, I won't give up on my patients and I will not rest until they get the care they need!

I was once a special education student in high school and made poor grades. Getting through the school I am attending in the class room was very difficult. But I worked hard. I came in early and stayed late. I rarely missed school. I did as much extra credit as I could. A lady in administration at my school told me that I am in the top ten percent of my class, I have a 4.0 GPA and that I am expected to graduate Summa *** Laude from the school.

Now I am looking for an extern site and can't find one. I tried to interview at one clinic and the extern position was already filled and another clinic told the extern coordinator that they couldn't take me for liability reasons because of my gender.

I won't quit looking for a place to extern at. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. But could I get some words of support or some advice please? I am already going to every doctors office in sight and giving their receptionist my resume and taking business cards. I also have my extern coordinator working very hard to get me placed.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Looking for support and maybe some advice.

Hi there, I don't know where live...see if there a free clinic where live this is a clinic where poor people go for their health care needs and also check the local hospitals in your area. Your school is responsible for finding you a externship site its in your contract you have with the school. If I were you I would to talk to your school rep. I hope that helped and good like to you and don't give up.
Sincerely,
Matt Edler, NCMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Thank you. It's been really discouraging even though it's only been about a week and a half since I have been out of the classroom and ready for Externship.

I was sent to a family practice, but just as soon as I walked in the door, the office manager told me that she was very sorry, but she already filled the extern position.
So I went to the Extern Coordinator immediately after the interview. She called another clinic, but was told that I could not do it for liability reasons because of my gender and the fact that they have two male physicians.
I am really worried that I am not going to be able to even graduate from my school because I can't find an Externship site that will take me.

The Extern Coordinator doesn't want the MA students to Extern in a hopsital out of worries that the Nurses will be very abusive toward them because they resent the fact that MA's can start doing the same jobs Nurses can do for less money.

But we may not have a choice right now. I certianly don't intend to give up. I have gone too far to do that.

BTW: I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area in Texas.

Are You Working? No

Hi there Chris, What is this gender thing? It should not make a difference. Are there VA Hospitals in your area? I would try there and what aren't any there free clinics there in Dallas...something wrong there. Why don't you go talk to the Dean of your school? What is the name of your school? It sounds like they don't want to help you. I would be making some noise about this issue at hand its not right. I did my externship at the V.A. Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah and I did very good there and they wanted to hire me there and they could not at the time because of a hiring freeze...after my externship was over I went to a Nursing agency I worked for them as a CNA/ CMA as long you did good in school and you are a hard worker I know you will do good and you will be a great Medical Assistant. I will check this site everyday to see if I can be further assistance to you if you need anything just leave a posting and when I check this Iwill look your messages ok! Have a good evening ok. God bless and take care.
Sincerely,
Matt Edler, NCMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Good News, I not only got an externship finally. But I didn't even interview, the doctor had his office manager call me and I started already. I had a good first day at work.

Are You Working? No