This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are new grads getting hired??

Hi everyone,

I just graduated from EKG/MA program this past July.
I am still looking for work as a new grad. I am getting a bit worried and wondering why no one is hiring new grads in my area (Bay area). Can anyone tell me if they are having the same experience?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: Are new grads getting hired??

I also graduated and became certified in July and have not obtained employment. I have applied for hundreds of jobs throughout the country and have been unsuccessful. I spent 40 hrs a week for 6 months attending school and feel i wasted my time and money. I am disheartened and frustrated. I wish you the best of luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CMAA, CBCS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Hey Diana,

Sorry to hear your having the same problem. This is kind of crazy I think. I am studying for my RMA test right now. I see you have your CMA. Was it a hard test?
I heard the only difference between RMA and CMA is the price of the exam. I thought I would get hired right away and then could take the exam - wrong!

After I take the exam, I'm heading back to school for billing/coding.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Don't quit, don't let yourself get down, I volunteered for a non profit in my town to break up the job search monotony. I even considered heading back to my externship site to ask if I could volunteer to keep my skills up and expand my network.

I graduated with an AS in Medical Assisting in June 08 and got the results from our test, when I was on vacation, in September. As far as I know all my classmates got jobs, or had them prior, to getting the test results. I waited too long and had to expand my search to rural areas outside my community. Then in one week of October 08, I got offered a position from three different clinics.
My doctor, at the job I ended up accepting, made the decision to leave the group shortly after. When my probationary period was up, they jettisoned me. Why keep support staff if they are unable to attract another physician to fill the spot... since that time, I have found hiring is very tight. I was beginning to feel a little disheartened and asked myself the same questions you two have presented with a twist along the lines of "this is a female dominated carrier field" and no one wants an old, fat, guy to represent their clinic.

I find myself quoting one of my instructors, "trust your training." This "trust your training" mantra has gotten me through the last 11 months, that and not stopping. Heck ya, I've been depressed and heavily questioning my educational decision. But I never stopped handing out resumes, checking health care clinic's websites and creating my career network. I went to AAMA chapter meetings in my area when I could and kept in contact with most of my classmates, having them keep an ear out for new leads.

Just recently I got a job interview at another rural clinic, near my first job, I nailed it. They were excited to have a guy in the office. The reputation of my school program was well known and liked by management of the clinic. Each day of the last week I have been trusting my training.

I believe if you graduated from an accredited school, get certified/registered by a respected accrediting body, keep your skills up, present yourself well and be open to fill the need, you will get hired. I was even applying for phlebotomy, front office or positions that I ordinarily wouldn't have considered in my search.

If I make it through this probationary period, I will feel I have won. The job I was hired for is an on-call float position and I'm happy to have it. I will have gained more experience, any way you cut it.

Good luck in your search!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? Yes

Jeff's advice is on the mark, and we have some other people here who will wholeheartedly agree. Remember, also... end of year, and esp. December is a hard time for jobs. Hardly any positions open during that time. Things will likely pick up again soon. In the meantime... re-read Jeff's advice and come up with a plan. Of course, you need to compete. The job market remains highly competitive! And a little luck helps, too. The right moment and time...

Danni

jefff
Don't quit, don't let yourself get down, I volunteered for a non profit in my town to break up the job search monotony. I even considered heading back to my externship site to ask if I could volunteer to keep my skills up and expand my network.

I graduated with an AS in Medical Assisting in June 08 and got the results from our test, when I was on vacation, in September. As far as I know all my classmates got jobs, or had them prior, to getting the test results. I waited too long and had to expand my search to rural areas outside my community. Then in one week of October 08, I got offered a position from three different clinics.

My doctor, at the job I ended up accepting, made the decision to leave the group shortly after. When my probationary period was up, they jettisoned me. Why keep support staff if they are unable to attract another physician to fill the spot... since that time, I have found hiring is very tight. I was beginning to feel a little disheartened and asked myself the same questions you two have presented with a twist along the lines of "this is a female dominated carrier field" and no one wants an old, fat, guy to represent their clinic.

I find myself quoting one of my instructors, "trust your training." This "trust your training" mantra has gotten me through the last 11 months, that and not stopping. Heck ya, I've been depressed and heavily questioning my educational decision. But I never stopped handing out resumes, checking health care clinic's websites and creating my career network. I went to AAMA chapter meetings in my area when I could and kept in contact with most of my classmates, having them keep an ear out for new leads.

Just recently I got a job interview at another rural clinic, near my first job, I nailed it. They were excited to have a guy in the office. The reputation of my school program was well known and liked by management of the clinic. Each day of the last week I have been trusting my training.

I believe if you graduated from an accredited school, get certified/registered by a respected accrediting body, keep your skills up, present yourself well and be open to fill the need, you will get hired. I was even applying for phlebotomy, front office or positions that I ordinarily wouldn't have considered in my search.

If I make it through this probationary period, I will feel I have won. The job I was hired for is an on-call float position and I'm happy to have it. I will have gained more experience, any way you cut it.

Good luck in your search!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Admin/Site Owner

Jeff, I clapped my hands and said "Yeah!!!" when I read:

Just recently I got a job interview at another rural clinic, near my first job, I nailed it. They were excited to have a guy in the office.

About time that medical offices get EXCITED about guys. Remember... we have discussed this topic ad nauseum. I even wrote a 2 page article on the MedicalAssistant.net site some years ago, hoping that one day things will change for guys in medical assisting. I do believe things are starting to open up, once the misconceptions and stereotypical thoughts are lifted.

Awesome.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Admin/Site Owner

Hi Recent Grads,

I will be finished with clinical extern in three days and will graduate the end of January 2010. Thought it would never come! Hope to have some luck finding a job; I'm ready to work! I'm tired of working for free. Good luck to you all!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Don't feel bad, I'm in ohio and I'm also having trouble finding work. I'm also a new grad.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? No

"Medical Assistants are knowledgeable, skilled and professional. They are a vital part of the healthcare industry. So although most recent grads are waiting weeks and sometimes months to obtain employment; do not think for one minute that the medical assistant is not needed, rather it is needed that the medical assistant remain professional."-------------This economy is making it hard for a lot of new grads to become hired right away. There are other factors as well, your level of confidence, believing that you learned the correct knowledge wherever you decided to receive your training from. Keep believing, keep studying (even after you become hired). All jobs will not be permanent; do not be discouraged, learn from each one until you're hired at that one that will keep you on for a lifetime. The quote above can be read in its entirety on http://hubpages.com/_2icqzbgq2m8vm/hub/The-First-Person-You-See. Remember, professionalism and having a "never-giving-up" and positive attitude is key. When you least expect it, the door will fly open. Good Success to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? Always