This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Career change to Medical Assistant question

I'm trying to decide what to do and was wondering if anyone had some real advice. I'm a 54 year old male in Indiana, no medical background and I'm considering going to Medical Assistant school. I have been out of work for one year and I am considering a carrer change from inventory control/purchasing. I've met with Med Tech college, Ross and International Business College. The tuition at IBC is $22,800 for an Associates Degree (14 months). They are accredited by the CAAHEP where the others are not. I've read quit a few posts about the MA field regarding the demand for MA's and the demand for males. If anyone has input, I would appreciate it.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Re: Career change to Medical Assistant question

Dennis,

We had a little discussion here a while back. Copy and paste this to your browser.

http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=792761550&frmid=14&msgid=1233607&cmd=show

That out of the way, I will not discourage you from trying. Currently I work in family practice. I think there are advantages to having guys in the office, but I'm biased In my current work situation, I have yet to get one negative comment. My boss called me into her office this afternoon and let me know she thought I was doing a great job. The patients and staff are happy, the docs are happy and the boss is happy. What else is there?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? Yes

For that price? No way. I paid less than that for my BSN-RN. And I make three times as much as when I was an CMA. Go to a J.C. and save some money if you are going to do it. Its a good career, but not if you have to pay that much to get the training. It will take you YEARS to pay that back.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN-RN, PHN, CLD-CBI, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes

heartsopenwide
For that price? No way. I paid less than that for my BSN-RN. And I make three times as much as when I was an CMA. Go to a J.C. and save some money if you are going to do it. Its a good career, but not if you have to pay that much to get the training. It will take you YEARS to pay that back.

Thank you, HeartsopenWide for your continued support. Another year of your hard work, and hopefully we see some real (postitive) changes in the medical assisting workplace, qualifications and training.

Best wishes.
Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Admin/Site Owner

Community College is definitely the way to go! I am getting my education for $5000, and it is QUALITY.

Jenny