This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cant Find A Job

I want to let you know, you are not the only one that feels this way. I too was told that because of my hha and cna experience, that it would be easier for me to get a job as a ma. i quickly found out this is not true and i and i had been lied to. It has been almost 2 years since i graduated from an accredited ma school and still yet to find a job with the title medical assistant. I have gotten other postions due to the fact that i attended ma school. for exampl, i ahve worked as a physical therapy aide but that was only temporary. i have also worked as a medication aide but i could of did that by just being a cna. Being an ma made me have an advantage over everyone else but i still was not getting paid nearly as much as a ma would get. It gets me angry that i owe so much money in student loans but cant get a decent paying job even before the recession. If i knew it would be like this, i would of never went to school to be a ma and i would of went to school to be a lpn. I have been recently been offered a job as a medication aide only paying $8.50 - $9, which is ridiculous to me because, i used more just being a cna. but due to the fact that i need a job, i might just take it. I also went back to school which is somewhat of a blessing because my loans from the ma school are on deferment and i dont have to pay them right now but it also means i will have a bigger loan amount when i get out the school im in now. My advice to everyone is to go to school for lpn and dont waste your time and money with ma school

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? NO

Re: Cant Find A Job

You ass/u/me that the preference is to be an LPN, sorry not for me.

Having been unemployed for 11 months, from January 2009 to December and obtaining an MA job, it is not impossible. I had a heck of a time getting employed as an MA, I'm sure there is truth in what Nate says about discrimination. It has been put to words on this forum by someone who should be providing encouragement and help to folks rather than belittling them and degrading the profession. True the economy isn't helping, but P!ss!ng and moaning about your situation and lot in life only gets you so far. Truthfully, I had almost given up on being an MA and headed back to school. I am so glad I didn't give up!

Perhaps there are other reasons you have been unable to obtain work as an MA.

jeff

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

i was a lpn for over 30yrs. then retired. i feel i still would like to do something different in the medical field. so i went to ma school and they told me i shouldn't have no problem getting job with my experience.well1 yr later still no job.ican't even get any office manegers to repond to any of my follow up communications.lot of docs. in my area use students as staff why.FREE HELP!!!
An for i told money isn't that much of an issue.
next,in this time i wont recommend anyone to go to lpn school. even thu it's a good foundation toward a rn. you'll be better off going for a rn. better pay, more flexibility, more specialties to choose from to meet your interest. where i work they are not replace lpn's that have left. lpn's in my opinion are going they way of they dinos... extent.
if you still wish to become a lpn, please do your job research to see if in your area if it worth the time and money. you don't want to make the same mistake twice and find out after graduating lpns school there is little to no jobs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA-LPN

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

I think you are so right. Rn is the way to go but when i said become a lpn i wasnt trying to down ma's. Im just saying that it is very hard to get a job as a ma and alot easier in other nursing fields. Im so happy for you that got a job but you need to understand that it doesnt happen for alot of people out here. I believe thing in the medical field is a good thing to get into but its very frustrating when you are told one thing and later find out something totally different. So excuse me if offended any one but this is just how i feel and i can show you about a hundred people that can tell you the same thing. I also dont think going back to school is giving up. Im not gonna feel bad about trying to further my education and trying to move up in the world. Thank you

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? NO