This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What would you do in this situation?

Hello everyone,

Okay so I am at the end of my rope here (almost thinking of getting out of medicine altogether, maybe im just frusterated). Let me explain my situation, I would like to see what you guys would do...

I work with a PAC. She is the most awesome, nicest person I have ever met, and she is a close family friend. We met when I worked as her "sub" MA one day, and the next day I was being pulled into my managers office to become her new assistant. Ive worked for her for the past 2 years. It is the typical "dream" connection every MA wants, a successful provider to work for that you can learn off of and be friends with.

So thats the best part of the job. I also have some wonderful patients, alot who email me on a daily basis. There kids call me the doctor...even though im totally NOT a doctor, Ive even corrected them lol....

However, sadly....the rest of the nursing staff doesnt think that of me. Ive been stabbed in the back numerous times by other medical assistants. I have been miseducated when I joined my job, and because of this I made some bad mistakes (none which caused harm to a patient or ended up in court) and I had been suspended (this was about 1 year ago). Also, one of the "lead "nurses" ( I say that because some of them sit on their can and discuss Gossip Girl and Twilight) and tell me how bad I am and fully supported my suspension (in fact was gleaming about it)! Im not saying I am a saint (my writing isnt the best in the world), but everyone picks at every little thing I do. Its annoying, frusterating, Ive even had to go to therapy to deal with these girls.

So...I have a question to you all. Would you stay and try to salvage this ship, or would you get out now even though you dont have anything lined up? I have 4 years (omg going into 5 years) of MA experience. Im not certified simply because none of my positions required it, nor would I have gotten a raise from it....I am just not sure what to do. I love this PAC I work for...shes so **** great....we have computer games in common (do you know how hard it is to find someone who likes star trek and can speak klingon with you??).

Anyway, thank you so much for reading through this. I hope someone can find this and maybe come up with a suggestion to this horrible situation.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: What would you do in this situation?

Knowing how hard it can be to land a job in this economy, it may be wise to line something else up. It sucks, because you like the PAC. The gossip girls will never change and likely will drive off whoever shows up. Is your PAC aware of the situation?

On a side note, even if a certification isn't required you should try and see about being reinstated. In my area you almost have to be a CMA/RMA or you will not even be considered. Many clinics like to say their staff is xx% certified or registered, similar to shops that have ASE certified mechanics, it is a bragging point.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

I would notify the person you are working for, also do you know why these people are acting toward you like this?

Im not sure if it is because I am a guy or I am really close with the provider I work for...but...I think there are others in higher management that dont like me...I dont know if its because they might feel threatened or what. I havent really said much to my supervisor, other then denying the accusations against me. Im just really sick of the blame game with this stuff...cant we all just work and get along?

Are You Working? Yes

I'll ask the "real" question, Marc do you like your PAC more than you are letting on? It all comes down to this, is your job spilling over into your personal life? The stress you deal with every day is not healthy mentally or physically. Look for a new job. Get a good ref. from your PAC. Get cert. if possible. Do it on the low, only the PAC need know. Every place is not like you experience, most places us men are respected for choosing this career. Either way, keep your head up and make good choices, you will be alright.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? Always

Are You Working? Always

Well no....There is no romantic involvement or any of that type of stuff of any kind...there is a HUGE age gap between us as well. We are just really good friends.

Your right Casey. I need to get things into gear. Having this much stress on me isnt healthy. The list goes on and on, Im sure we are all aware of what it is. There are other medical assisting jobs out there, especially with my level of experience and references I should do okay. Also I could look into other areas other then family practice...theres internal med, phlebotomy, EKG technician...even admin jobs like clinical call reps....

Thanks...I think I needed this. I am going to start to look. I might take some time off...maybe a few weeks...to get things into gear before I look for something.

Are You Working? Yes

Marc,
It is difficult to work with people who are for whatever reason, 'biased.' It sounds as if you really love your work. You did not say what kinds of mistakes you made, however, when working with such people as you did I question whether it was really a 'mistake.' I recently graduated from a MA program, not yet certified, not yet working. My externship experience was wonderful for the clinical experience, however, the people I worked with were not. At first, they seemed great. Then one day I was told I made too many mistakes. OK, well, I was a 'student medical assistant' and there to learn as well as practice the acquired skills. I went in not even wanting to go home for the day, came out glad it was over. However, I am very, very epitimizingly (if that's a word) grateful for the experience! You have to really search yourself and decide what you should do. Will they take you back? Do you really want to go back? I think our workplace should be enjoyable because we spend a lot of hours there. Not judging you because I am a recent grad and do not have my certification either. However, more medical facilities are requiring that certification is mandatory. Think about that, and put your all into becoming either certified or registered (I will as soon as I have the money to take the test). That way should you decide (or they decide) to take you back and you find that it was not such a good idea to go back, you will have your certification or registration so that you can move forward. Sometimes, our season ends in a place that we felt we would be forever. To prolong that season when the universe says it is time to move on can only cause us more mental and emotional anguish. Should you move on, you can still be friends with the PAC and you may find that she may even be of a greater asset to you while you work in another place. Truthfully, it is your decision alone to make. I just would not like to see anyone have to go to work everyday in a place where you know snake eyes are watching every minute of the workday and possibly decide to pierce you with venom, for no reason. Best wishes to you!!!!!

Are You Working? No