This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good school or bad school, How does one know?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions. I am currently a stay at home mom but I want to go to school now and I am very interested in the medical field. At first I was just going to do a Phlebotomy course at my local community college. But then I thought even though I am interested in Phlebotomy I think it might get boring just doing sticks after a while. So I started looking into becoming a MA. It seems like a job that I would truly love. My question is how do I know that the program at my CC will be satisfactory? The description of the course states that it is through them and Boston Reed college. The reason I am worried is because it is a non-credit course and it is listed in "community education career training" section. This program combines 134 hours of classroom instruction and 160 hours in an off-site externship. This is the only option for a MA course within 30 miles. Sorry for this being so long, but can someone please tell me if this would count?
Should I just go for the less expensive Phlebotomy course?
I don't want to make a mistake and throw away my husbands hard earned money. Thanks so much!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: N/A

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Good school or bad school, How does one know?

Get a hold of the program adviser at the school. They should be able to give you contact information for recent graduates, or give your contact information to them. Interview the graduates and see if they have contact info for other classmates, interview a few of them also. You will soon discover if MA classes are something you want to go after. Specifically ask about pitfalls, do they place you in the externships or are you required to find your own? What salary did they start at or is customary in the area, what kind of a ROI will you see for your husbands investment in your future? Look at the postings here and formulate other questions to ask based on what problems others have encountered.

Many MAs have worked as lab techs and in phlebotomy positions too.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Thanks so much! Actually I just found out that the school is holding a free seminar where they will be discussing the courses and you can meet the teacher and some former graduates. I am pretty certain this will answer most of my questions.

I was wondering one more thing though, if you wouldn't mind. Do you think it is beneficial to get both Phlebotomy certification and MA certification separately? Would a MA certification enable one to work in a Phlebotomy position or would further education be required? Also I live in Illinois if that makes any difference.
Thanks again.

Are You Working? No

Most MA programs do not provide a Phlebotomy certification, only the training. After our class I felt confident that I could fill in at the lab if needed. Each of us had to draw at least 4 times per period, we had bandage's on each arm and hand The instructor indicated if we didn't, we weren't doing what we needed to pass. It never hurts to have more certifications, IMO having the Phlebotomy Certification wouldn't have improved my chances of landing a job.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

I just found out that even though this is a community college it is not accredited by CAAHEP or ABHES. The closest accredited program is 2 hours away. Do I have any other options? I am guessing I should just give up on this dream for awhile.

Are You Working? No