This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I was thinking of going back to school to get my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting.

Good evening everybody, I was laid off from my job last month. I'm signed up with two Nursing agencies and there has been no work going out. I've been getting interviews but it seems like they want other people...I have been in the Medical field for 18 years. Some of the people that I talked to said it would be a good idea to go get my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting and that I would have better chances at Medical Assisting jobs. I only have 1.10 years experience as a CMA and if I go on to Nursing school I would have to start over again and I could not transfer any my credits. So what I'm asking is anybody thinks if this would be a good career move. I thank you for time.
Sincerely,
Matt

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? No.

Re: I was thinking of going back to school to get my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting.

I think that is a reasonable plan.

Jobs are really tight right now. I really believe you have to have the perfect storm, the planets in alignment and be holding your mouth just right to get any job, let alone one you want.

At past jobs, 20 years ago in high-tech, I have seen folks receive hiring preferences and be screened out of jobs based on having a degree or not. I'm talking well qualified folks with a lot of experience doing just what is wanted being eliminated from the hiring process simply because they didn't have a degree, any degree. Then the company hired someone who had to learn to do the job, read as pay for a very expensive learning curve, because they hired someone with a degree in an unrelated field. [Rant mode]Sometimes the mysteries of HR departments run deep, but an unqualified person like an RN ran the HR department from a job I was let go from. She said, "you should look in to a CNA job." After having gone to the trouble of getting an Associates of Science in Medical Assisting, IMO she is unqualified to run her department. She probably isn't even a member of SHRM and is an embarrassment to folks who call themselves HR Professionals. [Rant mode off]

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Re: I was thinking of going back to school to get my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting.

Good evening Jeff, Thank you for the kind words. I noticed in my first posting that I said I was a CMA 1.10 yrs. I'm sorry it should have said 1 year and 10 months. I just have this strong feeling I should get my associates degree in Medlical Assisting...I already have my Diploma in Medical Assisting. I believe it will take me a lot further in my career. I said in my last posting that I was laid off from last position that is true...the only thing we were limited on what we could do...all the things we learned in school we did not get to practice...which was nice in some ways. I felt like Iwas wasting my time, and like you said in these tough times having a education is everything. I thank you again for responding to my reply.

Sincerely,
Matt

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? No.