This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Associate Degree vs Certificate Program

Hello!

Please help!

I am looking into different schools in CA with Medical Assistant programs. The first school is Heald College, 12-18 month program (depending on which of my community college credits transfer) for $28,000 (maybe less depending on previous credits again) I will leave with a A.A.S. in Medical Assisting. The second school is Western Career College, 9 month program with a tuition of about $10-15,000 (from what I have seen online, would not tell me tuition cost over the phone - made appt, with counselor), would leave with a Certificate/Diploma.

The first guy at Heald said that a degree is important because it gives you a wider knowledge base which is something employers are looking for,

The second guy at WCC said that a degree is unncessary and basically a waste of time and money.

My aunt is a surgery scheduler at a Dr. office, who says she does not know of one MA in her office that holds a degree.

What are your thoughts? Im not trying to get scammed.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Re: Associate Degree vs Certificate Program

The quickie program might get you the job now... in the current job market, do you really want to think that short sighted? There are some recent posts from recent grads who have had a hard time finding work, you might want to read the other threads.

You said, "My aunt is a surgery scheduler at a Dr. office, who says she does not know of one MA in her office that holds a degree."

I guarantee the only person(s) in my office that might know I have an AAS in MA is my boss and possibly the administrator and/or her secretary. None of the other clinic staff would have a clue, they weren't involved in the hiring process.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Thank you Jeff.

So would you say that the extra time and money put into your education for the AAS is worth it in terms of landing a job, and pay?

PS - My aunt is good friends with a couple of the MA's so that may be what she is referring to. Obviously she would not know the educational background of the majority of the staff.

Also, I did read some people are having a hard time landing a job without experience in this current economic time, but would any one say that this is different than any other field?

For example, I have a background in Early Childhood Education, and qualify on paper for many management positions, but lack the "experience" of actually holding a management position, when most, if not all, job postings "require" experience.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

I know now that my boss was looking for someone who was trained, RMA/CMA, she would have probably let me get squeezed out by someone with experience, a little luck can get you pretty far. In my case the degree clenched it, but the field of applicants was small vs. other places I had applied.

IMO the degree helped. I know that is a non answer, maybe someone else will have some thoughts. Sometimes it is the training they want not the degree.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)