This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Somewhat personal question from newbie

Hi everyone!

For fear of appearing "rude" hesitate to ask this question of MAs I know casually or encounter while visiting my own doctor, so I thought you all might be of some help.

About how long have you been a medical assistant and about how much money are you bringing home? How are the benefits? Obviously I looked up the average salary online but I am looking for some real world opinions.

Also, how do you like your job? Would you reccomend it to a new comer? I am very interested in this career but am nervous to make such a big decision and change.

Anything I should know before getting myself into this?

I have been browsing your forum for awhile now and appreciate all the information I have found so far!!

Thanks for any help!

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Re: Somewhat personal question from newbie

“For fear of appearing "rude" hesitate to ask this question of MAs I know casually or encounter while visiting my own doctor, so I thought you all might be of some help.”

I found the MAs at my doctors office very helpful, don’t rule that out.

“About how long have you been a medical assistant and about how much money are you bringing home?”

I graduated in 2008 with an AAS in Medical Assisting, part of the program allowed us to sit for the CMA test from AAMA. My first job didn’t pan out, 12.40/hr., and I spent 11 months looking for a new position, the doctor left the practice. My second job I started last December, it is through the local tribe in their clinic, so it is on a federal pay scale. I started at 14.95/hr with the tribe, it is an on call position with no benefits. One of my classmates started her job about the time I started my first, she got 13.50 if I recall correctly. These are the starting wages in my area, minimum wage is 8.40.

“How are the benefits?”

I don’t have any yet, although they do buy two sets of scrubs. The last job had full benefits: 401k, medical, dental, local employee discounts, vacation/sick leave and holiday pay.

“Obviously I looked up the average salary online but I am looking for some real world opinions.”

They vary widely depending on where you live.

“Also, how do you like your job? Would you reccomend it to a new comer? I am very interested in this career but am nervous to make such a big decision and change.”

I’m really enjoying my job. The town is small and the tribe treats me well. If you want to stay busy, we are, go for it.

”Anything I should know before getting myself into this?”

Being certified and finding an accredited school that has an externship placement program, vs. finding your own externship, I feel are the greatest help.
Grow your personal network so that when you do find possible employment you are ready and have others looking for you as well.
Russ made a post recently along the lines of, your externship is the longest job interview you will ever go on. I firmly believe this.

Good luck!

jeff

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)