This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assistant School! HELP!!

Hi there, I am looking to start school through Allied Health Institue to become a Medical assistant. The program is accredited and is only 10 months long. Will I be on the same level to get hired and salary wise as a Medical Assistant who got an AA? It matters more how you do on the certification test right? Thanks guys! :)

Re: Medical Assistant School! HELP!!

Nicole
Will I be on the same level to get hired and salary wise as a Medical Assistant who got an AA?
Maybe, yes. Anything that will give one an edge in the hiring process is good.

Nicole
It matters more how you do on the certification test right?
no, no one has ever asked about test scores; interviewers have only asked about certification or registration.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

While we do not endorse, nor allow advertising, even subliminal postings of schools!!!! to avoid spam, and keep the forum neutral, let me just add that our Jefff is correct:

When a position is advertised for a certified (or registered, which is the same thing!) medical assistant, all they need to know and see is validation of your certification. Usually you will receive a laminated wallet card that shows your name, date, status, and expiration/renewal date. Unfortunately, many certification candidates sweat the exams way too much because not only do they want to pass, but they want to score exceptionally high. The latter is admirable, but not worth the stress. No employer is interested in your exact score.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

So they won't care if i went to school for a year or got an AA. they just look at my certification?

I got hired before graduation when getting my certificate of completion. Two years later I got my AA in the process of taking my nursing pre-reqs. I did not get cent more. Some place (not many) will hire people off the street so being certified vs being certified with an AA/AS does not really matter for most employers. I just got my BSN, I get paid the same amount as people with an ASN

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN-RN, PHN, CLD-CBI, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes

Nicole
So they won't care if i went to school for a year or got an AA. they just look at my certification?
Like I said before, yes and maybe. No prospective employer ever gives a hoot that I was a grade-grubber, and obsessed with getting everything right at school.

Employers are looking for the best candidate, for the position they have. They likely will not ask for your GPA, test scores or marital status. When it comes down to a few candidates who are seemingly equally matched, that is where they have to make decisions. Just as they sort resumes based on how they look, they sort candidates by what is in your resume.

A good example is where I work. One of my co-workers is an RMA. She is well qualified and proficient on a wide variety of MA skills and tasks. Her resume is going to be stacked with her experience first, she is a long time MA with mostly OJT as her teacher. On the other hand I have little experience except for my formal training, my MA AAS. So I list my training first, with my experience and skills listed later. Then you have the others in the office, they have no formal training and are learning on the job. If we had to re-interview for our jobs tomorrow with outside folks competing, they might be in serious trouble.

My point is, YES, become certified/registered. Think about how you present to a prospective employer, if you think you can get a job with certification only, go for it, but read the posts here about folks who can not find a job...

Bottom line, you want to stand out from the pack and market yourself. Think about what will attract an employer.

Good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)