This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rma vs cma

I am getting ready to start school for medical assistant. I was told by the school that I would be a RMA after I pass the exam. I want to then take the exam to become a CMA. They are saying I do not need to. Others are telling me I do need to. Is there a waiting period? Some say you need to work for a year as an RMA before you can take the exam for the CMA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: to be medical assistant

Are You Still In School? just starting

Are You Working? yes (different field)

Re: rma vs cma

Hello there, When you are done with school it would be best to wait 90 days after your graduated that way you have plenty of time to study for the exam. There is really no difference between RMA and CMA with the exception that the (AAMA)does the CMA exam and (AMT) does the RMA certification exam. I hope that helps and good luck with school.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? No.

Re: rma vs cma

Don't wait 90 days. I only studied one month for my RN exam and it is one of the hardest exams out there. The longer you wait between graduating and taking the exam the harder it gets. Don't take it too soon either, give yourself a few weeks to study, and study smart. When I took my CMA exam I found a review class that was in my area. Contact your states medical assisting association, see if they have local chapters and if the local chapter has a review course.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, PHN, CLD-CBI, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes