This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help how can I get out of this...can teacher really say its mandatory?

Hi,
So my teacher wants us to attend some meeting type thing for medical assistants etc. this weekend all day pretty much and I noticed on the syllabus it said attending the January,February,or March IS MANDATORY?! The thing is she really never told us about the Jan. or Feb. ones and now she expects us to go? When we had her class last she said you guys are coming right because the school cant get the money back, but noone knew if they could or not yet, so noone said anything. On top of it she canceled class last week and I have her class tomorrow ugh...I know a few girls were saying that they would need off of work and would have to find a sitter and way there and back (not in walking distance either!) She never even told us the name of the place just that its on this main st around here. So, can she really make this mandatory and what can I do to get out of it? The weekends are short as it is and we didnt sign up for weekend classes. Im not sure how I would get there either. Im a good student just doesnt seem fair.

Re: Help how can I get out of this...can teacher really say its mandatory?

We had a class that included local MA meetings in the syllabus. It was required to only attend one meeting each quarter, entirely up to us to choose the one to attend.

All we had to do was show up and write a brief summary, not that big a deal.

I understand about the other issues, [insert smart comment with healthy supply of sarcasm here, round out with a back in the day story], believe me I get it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

I totally understand you and your classmates situation to find sitters and obtain transportation to this event. Whether its mandatory or not, I would think this would be a great opportunity not only to learn whatever you can but more importantly, networking. If its an event that current MA's and support staff from around the area, are meeting for the day, what an excellent opportunity to network yourself to these people. In this day when employment is tough, you have to cease every chance you get to market yourself. Take this meeting and treat it as a networking event.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Its not her job to read the syllabus to you. It is however your job to read it. If it is in the syllabus that attending is mandatory it is not the teachers fault that she is mentioning this now and you did not read it in the syllabus at the beginning of the semester; when at which time you would have know this was mandatory and could have gone to an earlier date. Consider yourself lucky that she mentioned it at all. Your all adults and need to be responsible. Read your syllabus at the beginning of each semester. Knowing rules and dates is a skill that you are going to need as an MA and in life in general. I don't believe you can get out of it, if it is in the syllabus you are responsible. About the only thing you can do is try and find out what the repercussions are if you do not go and decide if you can afford not to go. If the meeting is coming up before you can contact your teacher, you better plan on re-arranging things and going.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, PHN, CLD-CBI, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes

Actually I did read the syllabus and it said it was mandatory but we just did not see how she could make it mandatory on the weekend, our class is on Wed. She never even notified us about the other meetings or where they were so she was being irresponsible not me, that is why I wish I was not attending this school. I did end up going but we did not really learn much like I thought, and some of the girls did not even come.