This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
externship not training for ma but for medical office

I'm in school for CMA and have been completing externship with the same office for 3 months now. Tis whole time they have only had me in the back office for 2 weeks. The school and I have had no luck finding another office so far and this doctor is shortning his office hrs to part time.The Doctor offered me a job there working 4 hrs a day 4 days a week for 8.00 pr/hr but it's a receptionist position , said they don't need another Ma ( she just graduated 7mthss ago and said she can't train me because she's still learning.) that they'll only train me for front office. I'm in ATL and jobs are hard to come by right now but I'm scared that if I don't get any clinical experience then I'll never get a good job as a MA. Should I take the job or try to find an externship else where. They told my school that I got 4 weeks back office but that's not true. They would only let me watch for 2 of those weeks. So should I take the job

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: externship not training for ma but for medical office

Take it, show some enthusiasm, get some experience get a decent reference while keeping an eye out for the next thing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

jefff
Take it, show some enthusiasm, get some experience get a decent reference while keeping an eye out for the next thing.

It is a tough decision, you are in a dilemma, but I agree with Jefff. Take it, get the experience, but immediately start looking. You don't have many other options, except, leave with nothing. Therefore, chosing the "lesser evil" is your best choice. Ditto to Jefff.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

A job is better than NO job (do MA's really only make 8.00$ in ATL?) Take the job, show up every day, ON TIME and READY TO WORK and see where it takes you.

Maybe you can find another practice that will work you PT as well.

BTW 3 months externship?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/NREMT-B

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Yes that's what i've been thinking but I don't want to graduate next month and only have 40hrs in the back office. I have been at this office for several months and they have only had me answering phone and taking notes except for the 2 weeks of watching the medical assistant perform her duties. My fear is that I will never get to learn the skills I need as a MA if I work there. My concern is will it look bad on my resume to have graduate as a MA but have no MA on job training. If so then I wonder if I should turn down the job and seek externship elswhere. I graduate in 4 weeks. The pay is $8.00 pr/hr because they want to hire me as a front desk receptionist, not an MA.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no