This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NEED HELP PLEASE ...what is the role of a medical assistant in emergency situations?

Hi,
I am supposedly on spring break (yeah right) and I have all this homework etc. to do. I am trying to start on this one essay and would appreciate any help because I can not seem to find anything online. I need to know what is the role of a medical assistant in a emergency situation?

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE ...what is the role of a medical assistant in emergency situations?

Define emergency. You are CPR and basic first aid certified you aren't Ricky Rescue. You (likely) won't have a first aid kit W/ you and you'd better not even think of touching a patient if you've been drinking.

Basically, in the clinic you perform basic first aid w/in the scope of your clinic's protocols. Out and about you react to the level of your training and you had better be able to PROVE you're trained

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/NREMT-B

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE ...what is the role of a medical assistant in emergency situations?

We have been asked by the medical director of the clinic to assign who does what.

Typical scenario: someone comes in complaining of SOB, no appointment just at the main desk, who gets the wheel chair, oxygen, O2 meter, Nebulizer, calls 911, starts IV (we always have at least one RN in the building), checks vitals until the ambulance comes. We are a rural clinic, and even though the all volunteer FD is very fast, the FD rarely can do anything we haven't done to stabilize people. We have waited darn near an hour for the ambulance in the past.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Jefff, I have had you here on the medical assistant forums long enough to know that you very likely won't mind... but I want to make sure to let you know that you know this: whenever someone offers helpful insight or important info I am always eager to quote the post directly (with credits) on the medical assistant site. This way, the info is preserved rather than letting it get buried over time.

This post would nicely fit with an article I already have on MedicalAssistant.net as a practical "hands-on" quote. As you konw, people enjoy reading about real people much more than just plain articles. I hope, this is okay with you.

As always, thanks!!!!!

Danni

jefff
We have been asked by the medical director of the clinic to assign who does what.

Typical scenario: someone comes in complaining of SOB, no appointment just at the main desk, who gets the wheel chair, oxygen, O2 meter, Nebulizer, calls 911, starts IV (we always have at least one RN in the building), checks vitals until the ambulance comes. We are a rural clinic, and even though the all volunteer FD is very fast, the FD rarely can do anything we haven't done to stabilize people. We have waited darn near an hour for the ambulance in the past.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Sure, no problem.

Another thing I thought of adding to the list are the crash cart, the ECG machine and the AED.

Having clear assignments, in the event of an emergent situation, might save you time.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)