This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ways of paying off student loans

I am embarrassed to say that not only did I not think of the problems that could be caused by taking out a student loan and not being able to pay it back promptly, but I also did not read all the literature that came with the student loan packet I received but just put it aside. At first I thought it was irrelevant to read. After all, I was going to get a medical assisting job that paid well and the loan would be taken care of in no time. After awhile though, when it became clear that I was stuck jobless and with a bill every month, I just didn't want to think about it, much less look at that packet. For the past few years the packet had been buried somewhere but recently I hauled it out for something and skimmed through the booklet "Repaying Your Student Loans". I came upon an interesting section about discharging or canceling a loan. I had never heard of this before but apparently, performing volunteer work can help with paying it off. Does everyone know this? The volunteering involves working with the underprivileged , mostly children. Since I was not about to go overseas, joining the Peace Corps is out but I did a search of available VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) positions in this area and there seems to be plenty of openings. I wish I had known this before because over 1000 hours is required to pay off over $4000. So you would be looking at a year of doing this but it would be well worth it on several levels.

Has anyone tried this, or would consider it?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? Not in 5 years

Are You Working? Obviously, no

Re: Ways of paying off student loans

I don't want this to become a political views, and preference debate, or Republicans vs. Democrats and such... so I keep it very short: "You can thank President Obama for this one!".

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin