This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
42 yrs old and wondering

I'm a 42 yr old male, and I'm interested in going to school for MA. Then going further with this career. I'm at a point in my life where I need a complete change. Can I do it? Should I do it?
Any thoughts?

Thank You

Your Professional Title/Credentials: n/a

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: 42 yrs old and wondering

What do you mean by going further? If you are even considering nursing, don't even bother with MA school, it will be little to no help and the majority of classes will not transfer.

I was a hair older than you when I went to school for an AAS in Medical Assisting. I too needed a complete change.

Can you do it, sure!

Should you, that is something only you can decide. I had to do a whole lot of soul searching to come up with what I wanted to do. The decision didn't come lightly. I took a ton of those assessment tests at the community college career office to even consider MA school.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

I am 41 and considering the exact same career change. I don't see any reason why we cannot do it. People of all ages are going back to school these days. My only question is how to know which school to choose? They vary greatly in length & cost. i have no idea how to know what the right choice is. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical transcriptionist

Are You Working? no

I had to chime in on this. I'm a 49 year old male. I entered and completed MA school about 2 years ago. I dont regret it one bit. Actually I continued on further and entered into an xray program which I'm now completing my last class this month. Picking a school can be differecult. The cost alone scared me as well. In the end though, I picked a school that cost me close to $15,000.00. Money well spent. The school was so great and it was the best time I ever spent in school. Afterwards, I went to my externship and was hired a few weeks afterwards. I'm still there but on a part time basis. I was hired on from a peds neurologist fulltime a few weeks back. The best part of this job is I'm once again continuing my education. I will be learning how to read EEG's. So, never doubt yourself, if you shouldn't or not. If you have an inclination, then act on it. Don't let age or cost get in the way.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Mediacal assistant

Are You Working? yes