This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Did I make the right decision by becoming an MA?

Jefff, as always very well put and written. I would love to quote you on this in the main site. I believe you have already given me permission on this in the past. As always, thank you for your continued active participation here. Danni.

jefff
It isn't easy to get a job. I think you really have to stand out.

My experience: I Graduated in June 08. There was no love from the clinics and doctors offices in the area. I believe there is a bias in all hiring processes. I put out a ton of resumes and had more than a dozen interviews. I eventually ended up getting a position with an orthopedic surgeon about an hour from my home in a rural clinic, after I was there for a week he decided to leave the practice. So I was back in the job hunt with a summer gap between graduation and employment and only a three month stint as a MA. The economy really soured, worse than it is now in my area at that time, and there was a hiring freeze at several of the large clinics in the area. My dear mrs. put up with me being a "house bihatch" for 10 months while I did the employment search thing... again. I was grasping at straws, looking for per-diem work with the Lyons eye bank, asking to do volunteer work, contacting my school classmates and even preparing to reuse my CDL to drive for a local business. Really it was the end of my rope, I was just about soured on the whole thing. If you search back you will see posts by Nate, it is really hard for me to read those posts as he said a lot of things I was thinking about men getting hired in this profession.

The last 6+ months I had another rural clinic take a chance on me. NOW, let me tell you how I have kicked butt. None of the other MAs have any training, with the exception of the limited rad tech who fills in, they all have a ton of experience from years of being MAs. My MA training, even though it seems like we breezed through some subjects makes me a quick study. I'm shocked how fast some of that stuff comes back. I will do any job, from house cleaning to whatever, anything for a buck. The patients have consistently positive comments about me. I run the sterilization room, Peds desk, laundry and fill in with some of our other 6 providers when they need help or the MA is on vacation. The ad I responded to said 10 hours a week, I have worked every day since I was hired except 2, for personal time, and time off with my family, most weeks are 40 hours. I could go on about how well I think I'm doing, but let's say I think I have made a lasting impression that will enable me to get a job closer to home in the future if I want or need, right now I'm liking where I am.

Good luck in your search, don't give up, expand your network, distribute business cards with your contact info, keep up your skills, hold your head high and know you will do well if given the chance!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Sure Danni, it is fine to quote me.

Ames , at 35 you still have time to do what ever you want. I forgot the one thing that became my mantra when seeking work, from one of the instructors at my school, "trust in your training." This mantra not only kept me going when seeking work it also has been helpful now that I have found a job. The employment ads may ask for 3-5 years experience, but if you are the best candidate for the position they will interview you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Yes, it is tough out there...but it is tough in any profession right now. You just have to be persistent.

I graduated in June 2010 and got my AAMA certification July 10th. I was just hired today (8/4). Every single day I did something toward my job search--online applications, e-mailing my resume, even going to offices around where I live and saying "Hi, I just became certified! Here's my resume--please keep me in mind!"

I applied for EVERYTHING I was qualified for (and even some things I wasn't! LOL). I even went outside of the Medical Assistant job and applied for phlebotomy tech positions, lab tech positions, even some patient care tech positions. In the end, I have been hired for an administrative position, and I am happy about that! I may not use some of the clinical skills I learned, but at least my office knows they have someone in a pinch.

My advice is to KEEP PLUGGING AWAY. Don't give up! :)

Jenny

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? Nope!!

Thank you Jeff for the advice and encouragement. I am going to apply for those positions that say 3-5 years....who knows right!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Congrats on finishing and getting your CMA Jenny! And getting a job today! WOW....That is fantastic! You know I do apply for both MA & Phlebotomist positions...I haven't done so for Administrative position or Patient Care Techs.....hummmm you gave me an idea. Let's see what happens...

Are You Working? No

Ames, I am scheduled to graduate in December 2010, but its going to be really tough because i have had a lot of problems with my college and now have to take way more than planned this semester with my externship and you think I would know where im going by now but my "teacher" hasnt let me know anything. My teacher is also my program director and adviser.She had all this time to start the process and she just is now and school starts again soon (seems like it never ended). Also they canceled classes on me numerous times with last minute notification which really screwed things up. My problem is my "teacher" is like all over the place and hasnt even taught me everything im supposed to know by now ugh...I thought it was going to get better with her but never did now im going back for my last semester,went right out of highschool in 07 but my 3rd in this program. Noone at the college ever seems to care or want to help.

Is your school accredited? That is so important. You can always complain to the president/principal of the school. You have the right to a solid and competent education.

Are You Working? NO

Yes my college is accredited and I have complained to the higher up a few times and they either give you an attitude or fix a very little of the problem they created but never totally fixing the problem (like them make me take alot of classes my last semester because they kept on cancelling them). I feel like, I could ask my teacher to show me how to do things again (some things she only showed me once and sometimes it was half well you know), or the things im sppsed to have been taught by now, but now im going into a whole set of new classes which are more than I planned with my externship which will probablly last the whole semester. I really dont have the time even if the teacher showed me now what she should have along time ago, its like I cant win. Plus the class I have with her this semester is like a externship/seminar type a thing and Im the only student in this MA class so once again noone to practice with ugh during this time. Im just praying it works out somehow because I worked so hard.

That is insane! I can't believe that the school is accredited! Why are you the only one in class? That is weird....Are you a memember of the AAMA? Write a letter or call them and explain your situation. Do you have a school adviser that you can speak to? There has to be someone.

Are You Working? NO

Well when I started the program there were 2 of us, but the girl like never showed up so thats why i missed out on alot of hands on practice (that was the clinical class). Three new girls started last semester so their behind me so im the only one in that class this semester (and doing my externship). My program director is one of my teachers as well as my adviser which isnt really helpful. Im not a member of the AAMA yet, actually I was going to write a post about help paying for the certification exam which I wanted to take soon after graduating but I do not know where im going to get the money to send out very soon. School starts up soon again and I really do not know what Im going to do for money in general and im not even sure how much more aid I need for tuition etc. See I get financial aid but in my state the school is waiting for budgets to go through etc. so im not even sure how much I will be getting.

Well don't give up be persistent. Voice your concerns with confidence to your teacher and good luck.

Are You Working? No

Thanks

That sounds A LOT like the school I go to!! I am the MA tutor, but when I need some help there is no one to go to! Its THEIR fault I am graduating 2 semesters later than I should have and they never help with ANYTHING! They have poor teachers, lowsy advisors and no one to turn to for real answers! And they are accredited! Its amazing to me the stuff that is allowed to slip through! And they wonder why no one wants to continue on this path or why we switch schools and head into a different direction all together.. We are over worked undertrained and mishandled way too often. There is no hope for us with problems like this!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Internship

Yes Bugg its Aggravating!!! I recently graduated, and am scheduled to take the CMA exam next Tuesday! Im still looking for work, and feel cheated also, never learned venipuncture etc. What area are you from? I also do not have transportation right now, which makes it even harder,

I've been reading your valuable posts and advice. I am a former medical transcriptionist and health records clerk, as well as licensed health insurance agent and CSR for group and individual. I know the health field very well from office, but not clinical. Jobs are scarce, and I decided to go back to school for my MA and CMA upon graduation at a local professional technical school. It will take 50 weeks.
I'm excited to begin clinical medical work. The field is prosperous here in our area, and there is an externship offered in the program that could lead to employment. There is also job placement and classes towards professional development and employment skills.
I'm wondering if the people who are having the difficulties finding jobs are utilizing all the resources from their schools that have been offered as far as placement and additional services, and what the most difficult thing is about finding work as a CMA. Is it lack of experience? Lack of available jobs?
The field looks prosperous because of all the medical clinics and hospitals in the area I live in, but there are lots of places with less of these services, and that might be the issue for some graduates as well.
Thanks for sharing your job info and any other info you have about positive aspects to your training. I'm especially looking forward to venipuncture and assisting in minor office procedures!!!

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no