This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: question about pay (should we "strike") ?

The first step needs to be regulation of the practice on the national level. For one to work as a RN one has to graduate from an accredited college, and pass a national board exam. Medical assistants can walk off the street and be trained, never being required to be certified. If it was require for medical assistants to graduate from an accredited school, and pass a national certification or licensing exam I bet you would see wages increase. Right now MAs are just as valuable as any other yahoo off the street in the eyes of many doctors that want to get cheap labor and can.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, PHN, CCMA-C

I agree if you graduate with an associates you should have to pass a certification exam. I used the last of my money to sign up for the AAMA exam a few days ago because I graduate in December, and its no fair to me or anyone else certified if we get treated the same as someone off the streets. I know something has to be done about the whole medical assistant career not being respected enough, but maybe we can all get together and do something about it. Any ideas?

I agree that there needs to be uniform regulation; accredited programs, licensing exams and licensing. The other reason for the pay disparity is that the Bureau of Labor Statistics classifies Medical Assistants with CNAs under Healthcare Support and classifies LPNs and RNs under Healthcare Professional/Technical. Medical Assistants attend Technical and Private Colleges, therefore should be classified as Professional/Technical.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, CPNCC, CSAC, CNA

Are You Still In School? Yes, returning AGAIN

Are You Working? Yes

Cari
I agree that there needs to be uniform regulation; accredited programs, licensing exams and licensing. The other reason for the pay disparity is that the Bureau of Labor Statistics classifies Medical Assistants with CNAs under Healthcare Support and classifies LPNs and RNs under Healthcare Professional/Technical. Medical Assistants attend Technical and Private Colleges, therefore should be classified as Professional/Technical.

Totally agree!!!!! Couldn't have said it any better, and am thinking about taking this statement directly to the websites (MedicalAssistant.net or Certmedassistant.com) to give it a permanent spot, to hopefully let it be read by many, and let it sink in. The post, here will very likely eventually get buried. Thank you for re-adressing and discussing this interesting and valid debate.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Thank you for your response, Dani. I would be honored to have a spot on the websites. Hopefully, the widespread exposure of what is really behind the pay disparity will help MAs organize and bring change to the profession.

Are You Still In School? Yes, returning AGAIN

Are You Working? Yes

By academic terms, one is not considered a professional unless they have a bachelors degree or higher. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has little to no affect on pay. Although frustrating, they are simply lumping professions together for simplicity. I still get paid more than an LVN as an RN.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, PHN, CCMA

Hearts....

I am aware of the academic use of the term "Professional"; I also have a Bachelors Degree and I have always disagreed with this use of the word. A degree is not required for someone to be a "Professional", but our society likes to remake the English language. As I said LPNs as well as RNs are listed under Professional/"Technical". The Bureau of Labor Statistics has everything to do with setting salaries. You don't think employers look at those "categories" and "pay rates" when setting salary ranges? The Federal BLS also impacts State Departments of Workforce Development; as that's where they get their infomation from.

My point is that Medical Assistants are miscategorized. If you compare the skills performed by MAs and LPNs in an ambulatory setting, as I have done from ONET, there is little difference, except the use of the English language in describing the exact same skills. I am going to be writing to my State Department of Workforce Development and making these points. If everyone does this, we may see some changes.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

I wish they would look. I would be making a lot more. I would have made a lot more when I was an MA too.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, PHN, CCMA