This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nevada/Las Vegas input if you please

I don't know about your particular program, but I am 100% in favor of using a community college for training. I did mine at a CC and I got and excellent, well-rounded education without all the hassels and worries you can have with a tech school or "diploma mill" type institutions. PLUS it is by far the most economical way to get your degree! Why pay $10 grand or more for credits that won't transfer anywhere afterward when you can get a better education for half the price? Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? Nope!!

Are You Working? YEP!!

Re: Nevada/Las Vegas input if you please

Thanks Jenny.

Yeah I feel the same way as you. I'd much rather go through the CC. And its an open program, meaning you don't have to go through a long application process - you simply have to meet the pre-requisites and take the courses in sequence - either full-time two semesters then the externship in the third, or part time for five semesters.

I checked the registration system (I'm currently a student there) and there are still open slots in most of the MA courses this term, so its not so full that students can't get in. I am just a little worried that maybe the school program has a bad rep or something. I am fairly certain the tuition is much much lower. I am paying $125 for one credit. I am pretty sure the program is around 30 credits.

I suppose the proprietary school charging $10K goes faster, its 38 wks or so. I guess its probably easier to get going there too, with multiple start dates and the ease of just enrolling and going to school in a very specific schedule (8-1 or so M-F) versus the CC where you have to register for each class and the hours can vary. For instance the "gateway" course to the program that you have to take as a pre/corequisite is offered only at night (630-930pm M and W for the entire semester!). That night class would be my only barrier but for a savings of over five grand I would see what I could do to make it work out before I gave up.

I am also considering the MLT program which is just slightly longer. I'd love the lab. I'd like a multiple skill-set though. I'd do both if I could!

Are You Still In School? yes