This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
why are there so many negative comments about medical assistants?:(

Hi, I'm starting classes this week to become a medical assistant. why are there so many people complaining about finding work? Is this a good career or should i have gone to school for nursing

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: why are there so many negative comments about medical assistants?:(

Here is my $0.02.

If you are aware of what you will be learning and that you are not going to be a nurse, then you are informed. (had to get that out of the way b/c some schools sell unsuspecting students on the ruse that they will be "just like a nurse, except the program is faster").

There are a lot of students that study this program. There are a lot of for-profit schools that advertise on TV, which does not help the credibility.

Because of the job market and the volume of graduates, you are going to have to market yourself and network and be pro-active and fight for a job. If your program is accredited then you should have the skills when you graduate to do the job. You may have to prove that - see my next paragraph.

Because its an unlicensed health profession, there is not a specific standard. This can lead to some of the negativity because skills and preparation can vary.

Nurses are having a hard time finding work too. You just have a wider variety of practice settings as a nurse and you can work "down" from your license - whereas as an MA you cannot do a job that requires a licensed nurse. If you want to be an MA though, do that. If you want to be a nurse, you might want to research a little more. You can certainly stairstep your education (though much of the MA work does not transfer - general ed stuff like English may) and get experience in patient care along the way. There are posters here in this forum who started as MAs who are now nurses.

Are You Still In School? yes

Lisa hit most of the major points.

Another issue is the schools that crank out diplomas/graduates without regard for if they are employable. I have said, "a responsible program will regulate graduates so the market is not flooded and most are able to find work." when I was in MA school the rad tech program limited folks who could enroll because they had to place people an 8 hour drive from the college for CWE or available positions. If you have to relocate to accept a position, that stinks. Some folks are interested in relocating. One of my classmates graduated and already had interviewed and accepted a position in another state with her fiance. I have targeted rural clinics for employment, because it is my opinion that the majority of clinics where I live do have problems hiring men and/or MAs without experience.

Recently, I was told they are regulating the number of students who can enter the MA program where I went to school. They had trouble placing people and cut back on who can enter the program.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA), AAS

Hi there, When people get on these forums a lot of them are just looking for a way to vent. Others get off on other people misfortune and grief. Going to school to be a Medical Assistant is a great choice, it shows that you want to help your fellow man and woman. We are all Gods children and we should look out for each other and help each other grow. With all the schools out there be sure to see if the school is going to be a good one for you. Check with former students and graduates, to see how they liked the school and see if they are working or not. When you start school make sure to meet with your instructors and get a feel for each other to see how they teach the class and what they except from you and you can generally tell what kind of person they are. I hoped this helped some. Good luck in your journey.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AAS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

The Medical Assisting field can make it hard to find a job because the industry is saturated. It is hard to find a job right now for everyone, new nurses are having a hard time too, some have been graduated over a year and still do not have a job. If you want to become a medical assistant then come a medical assistant, you will eventually get a job. People complain about other things about being a medical assistant, usually pay. I would recommend full researching about medical assistants, specifically in your area: call offices and tell them you are considering a career as a medical assistant, ask them what they usually hire a new medical assistant at, what their turn over rate is, ect; even go as far as to ask if you could talk to one of their medical assistants or if you could shadow a medical assistant for a few days to see what the job is really like. A lot of people to to school to do something they think they will like and then discover later; after months or years of school and debt, that they really do not like the job.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, PHN, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes