This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I need advice you guys...

Yesterday was my first day on my externship place,I was so nervous. The girls in there are very nice people and so is the dr.The deal is that I feel left our and lost.The girl who is my supervisor,does everything, and dosen't really let me do anything. Once in a while I get to take the Pt's. temp.Today she tried to show me how to use the computer way of charting in patients since this office already does it. However I only got to do it once. I go there from 8:30am to 5:15pm. I dont want to be there. The only thing I do is clean the rooms,and follow her around, I feel useless and almost like crying to feel so down about this. I dont feel like I am putting anything I learned in school to practice. Pls help me, what should I do? I am afraid that if I call the lady who put me here, and tell her I dont like this place, she might get mad at me. Pls help!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Re: I need advice you guys...

I think you should stick it out. It is very fortunate that you are getting experience to put on your resume. When you are out in the real world after graduating you will find many ads for medical assistants, patient care techs, ekg and phlebotomy techs etc. You will be qualified for them if you pass these courses but if you dont have experience you will not even get an interview. Having the externship on your resume will get you hired or at least interviewed. When you get a job they will teach your skills and their way of doing them and you will get paid for it. good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA

It was just your first day. When I was training students I would have them following me and do nothing the first day or two but let them do things hands on without the patient there to make them nervous (UA dips, sterilization, charting, ect). When they were warming up I had them do all the vitals and intake with me in the room. After that I told them to go on in and do it on their own.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, PHN, CCMA, CLD

Hi Dayanara! Well I hope you are still there and that things are better. I remember my first day of externship! I was standing around and following the girl who was mentoring me. Hey and don't be afraid to speak to the person who placed you. Why would they get mad? If they do that is there problem. They are supposed to nuture and guide you...not yell at you! Anyway it will get better....just pay close attention and carry a little notepad in your pocket with a pen to jot down any important notes. Once you are alone with the patient's you will love it! That is when you are the boss. If you are lucky they will hire you, Good luck and God Bless!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No!