This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Still trying to find work, but hopeful!

It has been 6 months since I graduated MA school and still haven't found a job. I was very depressed but have now decided to think positive. I had a job interview scheduled yesterday but I had to cancel because I got the flu! Oh what luck....they said they would call back to reschedule. Also I was emailed about a position with a podiatrist. I faxed my resume so let's see what happens. I have learned to leave it in God's hands. Now matter what your faith...it is so important to have it....FAITH in something bigger than yourself. My faith has gotten me through my depression. I started going back to church and it feels so good. Talking to someone you can trust really helps. I don't watch tv anymore...just some news, because that in itself can be depressing...and I only watch positive things. The Hallmark Channel has become a favorite in my home. Well to those having difficulty finding work....it will get better just have a little faith!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No!

Re: Still trying to find work, but hopeful!

Twice I have attempted to respond to your post, maybe the third time is a charm and I'll complete it.

I hear you about the discouraging part. Having posted before about my situation, I give the short version. I got hired only 3 months out of school, I was the last of my classmates to get a job. If you read back, Nate was posting bunches of negative things about how hard it is to find a job as a guy in this career field. I CAN NOT disagree with most of his posts, but I lived the message he tried to convey. After 90 days in my job I was let go, the doctor decided it was time for him to leave the practice. He was actually told by the head surgeon of the hospital system we were affiliated with that he “wasn’t doing enough surgeries.” I don’t blame him, but it made it look like I had done something to warrant being let go in my probationary period. It took 11 months for me to find another MA job. I have now been in that job for 12 months, they love me there. It is an hour from my home, I have to drive through 3 snow zones to get to work. It is another rural clinic, as was my first job with the ortho surgeon.

The thing that held me together through the time was a phrase that my program advisor used throughout our classes, “trust in your training.” I was: depressed, positive I was being discriminated against, ready to take drastic measures and wondering if I had made the right decision to get an AAS in Medical Assisting. So when I say, “I have felt your pain.” I truly believe I have been where you are now, it was dark.

“Trust in your training.”

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

Re: Still trying to find work, but hopeful!

Jeff,

Thank you so much for your response and you truly do understand. Wow 11 months! Yikes! And an hour away! I have the same situation here because most of the jobs I see are in other counties and far from my home. I don't have transportation at the moment which is no help. I keep searching. Hopefully I will get that interview this week. One is about 30 minutes away and the other is about 45 minutes away. There is a hospital a block from my home and it would be fantastic to get a job there! I could walk to work and save enough for a car. But I leave it to fate!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No