This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assisting Clinical Questions

I'm currently a medical assisting student and taking Pharmacology at the moment. As of right now we are learning how to calculate doses, and I have to be honest and admit that math isn't my best subject and that I'm doing poorly on the calculations. My question is for medical assists that are in the field to answer a few questions I have such as.

Do medical assistants literally need to take out pen and paper to calculate doses?
Or
Does the physician tell the MA what number on the syringe the medication needs to reach? For example; the patient needs 30 units of medication and I just line up to 30 on the syringe?

Thanks so much.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Medical Assisting Clinical Questions

It is more likely they say, "I need a half gram of rosephin in exam 11, the mom wants a flu shot and the older sister needs flu, Tdap and mening, fax their sports PE to the school. What is next?"

The rosephin will need to be mixed and you will need to be able to figure out what half is, it comes in a gram vial. The flu is usually multi-dose. Tdap usually comes in single use vial...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Re: Medical Assisting Clinical Questions

Jefff is right. Doctors, once they have checked your skills and gone over your job description with you often assume you know what they want and they rumble down the list as jefff has described, as they make their rounds. You will EITHER have to pull him or your supervisor aside and admit you aren't sure what it entails, or you will just have to ace the pharmacology course and be extremely good, and confident (the latter is rarely the case.) Accelerated medical assisting programs typically focus on broad basic knowledge in their teachings of pharmacology. It's more or less just an introduction. There even are nurses and pharmacists not always very efficient in pharmacology calculations. It can become very complex and can put you and the doctor in a precarious position when medication orders aren't properly delegated to properly prepared and trained medical assistants. Better speak up!!!!

I've created a website for medical assistants needing to review basic principles and rules in medical office pharmacology. Perhaps it helps to clarify... It's called MAPharm.com at http://www.mapharm.com - of course.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin