This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Negativity

Hello,
I know that some of you may say to not let this bother me. I have had experiences with people saying do not go into medical assisting etc. For example at my externship one LPN said to go for LPN because shes been around the block and they make about $5 more per/hour than medical assistants. Also, I was studying for the certification exam while watching someone I know bowling for their league (I can concentrate with the noise lol...plus I have been studying alot!)the other night, and this woman comes up to me moves my purse to see what book I had with me. She says really loud "Dont do it, Dont do it!!!" I was kind of embarrassed, shocked, annoyed, and worried about my future (I would never do that). I said well I just graduated,and shes says well I work in Oncology, (I do not know if she is a medical assistant or something else)and asked me if this was what I wanted to be when I grow up...like I am 10 years old. I am hoping to pass the CMA exam in February when I take it! I hope to find a job I like that pays descent money. There just seems to be so much negativity sometimes. I just spent the last 3 years (6 semesters) straight out of high school(switched majors), and I do not have any financial aid left etc.,I hope I can prove others wrong, and that I did not waste my time...because I just wanted to make something out of myself. I am the first to graduate college in my family.

Re: Negativity

One of my classmates was told by an RN, "aim higher."

It is not appropriate, I love my job, but to all the naysayers I say STFU!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Agree! My father actually will be going in for his 3rd back surgery next Tuesday (just had one 3 weeks ago!, and hes pretty young). He went into a nearby hospital for pre testing yesterday, and one of the CMA's gave him her contact information to give to me. She said try to get into a hospital, plus I think they pay and benefits are great. The only thing for me is that its not super close by and I have no transportation right now so it would be hard for me to get there. It is also downtown. Im praying that it all works out though. Good luck to everyone hoping it will be a good year!

Hello there, Everything happens for a reason. Keep pushing yourself beyond the norm. Everything will fall into place. I've been a NCMA for three years now, and I'm very thankful that I made the right decision to become a Medical Assistant. I will know when the time comes for me to further my education, because like I said everything happens for a reason. Why rush it. Be the best you can be. Learn and grow with all that you learn each day.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes.