This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I lost my back office position . . .

I'm feeling humiliated, hopeless, and just down right sad.

I graduated as an MA last April and I hadn't been able to find a job as an MA until the middle of December. I was really happy and excited when I got the job. I worked really hard. I was rooming patients, taking vitals, sending out referrals, giving injections - the basic clinical work. I also helped out my fellow MAs when I had a chance.

I thought I was doing well. I knew my skills had dulled since school and I wasn't the best, but I thought I was doing okay.

Turns out I wasn't and I got switched to scheduling because it was either that or they would let me go. The office manager said she felt my skills weren't up to what the office needed and they were looking for someone "a little faster".

I'm glad they switched me instead of just letting me go with no job, but I just found out this morning and I'm shocked. I had no idea. I can only guess that I just wasn't fast or skilled enough.

I feel incredibly disappointed with myself. I suppose I just allowed myself to get overwhelmed. It is a pretty big office with 7 providers - each with a different style of how they want things done. The moment I got used to how one doctor worked I was switched to room for another and I had to learn all over again. Didn't learn fast enough it seems . . .

I'm starting to wonder if I'm cut out for this. I mean, I know I'm an entry level with not much experience but I feel I should've been able to keep up. I keep going over my performance in my head, trying to see what I did wrong. I was just too inexperienced.

Makes me wonder if there's even a chance for an entry level out there.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: I lost my back office position . . .

Hey...I would keep your head up. I just graduated in December and am scheduled to take the certification exam through the AAMA February 8th. Believe me, I feel the same way. I feel like I got cheated out of an education and that (things you WERE doing..I was never even taught or not taught more than once or properly), so yes it is scary. My college is a well known college and accredited, but they seem to care about other programs more than the MA. I have been looking also, it is hard to with no transportation right now. I was told to apply at this one local hospital downtown which I heard pays good but this transportaton thing right now really stinks. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully things work themselves out for you, me and everyone else. Maybe you will be happy there or maybe the job for you will come.

Re: I lost my back office position . . .

Try again, it sounds like you just weren't a good fit for that office.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep