This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frustrated/Depressed/Confused in NY!

So I need to vent so here it goes: I finished school about a month ago. I take the certification exam soon (Feb. 8th), and am hoping and thinking I should pass. I just started thinking okay I can pass but what is that going to do for me with no job? The frustrating part is that I feel like I got cheated out of an education. I wish I could go back to 2007 when I first started at the college (ended up switching programs) and know what I know now. The Medical Assisting instructor/program director sucked. I fooled myself into thinking it would get better but it didnt. I honestly do not think she deserves to teach. Anyways I had other issues at the college that were never totally fixed, and so I never brought this up to anyone thinking they wouldnt do anything anyways. Im just mad and scared because I do not feel confident applying at some places because I was not taught properly. I was never taught how to draw blood, was shown half you know what/ once how to do an EKG. Barely got any practice doing vitals. Anyways I just am so frustrated now. I had an interview this past Friday at this nursing home for an receptionist position. Im not sure why the woman called me in, because I applied for part time, or full time. I go in after being sick all week, also worrying, and I go there and she mentioned on call. She said they might only call you once a month;your not guaranteed anything at all. Then she mentions CNA and sort of tries to convince me to consider that. She told me to call her back this week, and I honestly do not know what to think/say. I was considering CNA a very tiny bit. I would of course need to know the details first. I just would feel like all my schooling was a waste, because anyone could go in there and train for CNA and get paid for it. Im not even sure how much they make though...? I having been looking for jobs a lot. I might send my resume into this one place, but Im assuming their going to want someone who knows how to draw blood, or do EKG'S. Im feeling so upset. I went to college straight out of high school, and really tried to do something good. I just feel like it was just a waste of time and that I had a bad experience. I was a very good student, but right now that doesnt seem to matter. I think I used up all my financial aid to. I am hoping, I will feel more positive and that things will work themselves out soon, but right now all of this is coming to my mind. I just want a good job and to start saving! Im sure others may of had similar experiences. Sorry just needed to vent so...

Re: Frustrated/Depressed/Confused in NY!

Hi there, Here is a saying, and it applies to all that you just talked about. Don't live in the past. Look to the future. Live in the here and now. Let me break it down for you. First of all, yes you had bad experience with your school that's water under the bridge. Learn from it, don't dwell on it. Everything happens for a reason. Learning is not just a school thing. We learn new lessons everyday, it's a part of life. Use this experience to better yourself. You can do it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes.

I read your vent and emphazise with you. At the same token I really liked Matt's advice. It had a tone of optimism and positivity and to me, that seems to be the way to go, rather than dwelling on the past and negativity. In reading I thought of a good old saying: It's better to light a candle than cursing the darkness. Sometimes we forget.

Now that you have your medical assisting training completed it's time to focus on landing a job. There ARE jobs out there, the challenge lies in getting one that is right for you.

http://www.medicalassistant.net/medical_assistant_jobs.htm?pid=1119443828994735&q=Medical+assistant&l=New+York

Jobs From the Web
Medical Assistants
Murray Hill Medical Group PC - New York, NY

Murray Hill Medical Group is seeking experienced Medical Assistants. Experience in Internal Medicine... Mission - Murray Hill Medical Group, P.C. is a major...
From Murray Hill Medical Group PC - 0 hour ago

Medical Office Assistant I
Mount Sinai Medical Center - Manhattan, NY

medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary. 5. Enters orders into the electronic medical record... Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved...
From Mount Sinai Medical Center - 2 days ago

Medical Assistant - Putnam Hospital
Mount Kisco Medical Group - Putnam, NY

Mount Kisco Medical Group seeking full-time Medical Assistant for our Putnam Hospital location. Please indicate the position you are applying for...
From Mount Kisco Medical Group - 1 day ago

Medical Assistant
Weill Cornell Medical College - New York, NY

as a Medical Assistant in a physician s private office preferably with exposure to internal medicine, pediatrics and/or OB/GYN practices; medical assistant...
From Weill Cornell Medical College - 9 days ago

Medical Assistant
South Nassau Communities Hospital - Valley Stream, NY

Medical Assistant Certificate Position Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent, Medical Assistant... o Oversees, all medical waste management disposal...
From South Nassau Communities Hospital - 3 days ago

Medical Records Assistant
NASSAU UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER - East Meadow, NY

clerical experience in a medical records department... Medical Center 2201 Hempstead Turnpike, East Meadow, NY 11554 Petra Freese, RHIA Director, Medical Records...
From ManhattanJobs.com - 4 days ago

Offsite Medical Assistant I
Mount Sinai Medical Center - New York, NY

medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary. 5. Enters orders into the electronic medical record... Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved...
From Mount Sinai Medical Center - 10 days ago

Medical Office Assistant
St. Francis Cardiovascular PC - West Islip, NY

High School graduate or equivalent required. Hospital experience preferred. Medical Assistant conducts EKGs, medication review and preps patients for physician...
From St Francis Hospital - 2 days ago

Senior Medical Office Assistant
Mount Sinai Medical Center - Manhattan, NY

Job Summary: The Medical Office Assistant will assist... the doctor's instructions. The successful medical office assistant will be a team player and respectful of...
From Mount Sinai Medical Center - 13 days ago

Medical Assistant II
Mount Sinai Medical Center - New York, NY

and receiving patient medical records, obtaining lab... medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary. 6. Enters orders into the electronic medical record...
From Monster - 42 minutes ago

---------------------

AND MANY MANY MORE! CHECK IT OUT... THEN GET YOUR COVERLETTER AND RESUME WRITTEN UP!

http://www.medicalassistant.net/sample_resume.htm

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Admin/Website Owner

Hey cmm4ever,

I just got done reading your post and I know exactly what you are going through. I was feeling the same way not that long ago I was angry, frustrated, sad and depressed. Every job I applied for was either too far from my home (which by the way I do not have my own transportation...I have to borrow my mother's car!)All job posts said 3-5 yrs experience and CMA....I knew I had to get my CMA which I did, but then the experience part...How in the world are you supposed to get experience if you are not given a chance? That receptionist position you mentioned....I would take it. It is some experience and yes it may not be doing clinical or it may not be full-time, but it is a foot in the door for you. Once you have your CMA I am sure you will be a benefit to them because you can also do clinical. They other day I attended an open house at a local hospital and applied for a Unit Secretary position. It is a foot in the door for me if I get it. Yes it may not consist of blood draws or EKGs but I have my certification and if they are short staffed or there is an emergency they know that I can do the job it needed. Why don't you try a Unit Secretary position? All you need is HS diploma/GED and med term. It is worth a shot! And your school sounds...well...crappy! Are they even accredited? Look don't be afraid to apply for ANY position in the field. Go for it...what do you have to lose? Take the CMA and if you fail it...take it again! At least you will know what to expect.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? No

Yes the college is accredited...crazy. I did go for a kind of interview a few weeks ago, and the position was only on call (lady said I wouldnt be guaranteed anything at all!),so I decided not to pursue that further, but told her to keep me in mind if at least part time became available. She also was talking to me about their CNA training (It's a nursing home),I guess it would start in a few weeks, but I never really decided if I should do it or not. I mean I would feel like I went for MA for nothing.Plus I would want to know exactly what I would have to do. I have been looking also for something like unit secretary. I wish us the best of luck!

I have read several of your posts and you seem very nervous about your training etc. I understand what your going through but you should try to calm down a bit and have a little faith in yourself. If you look at things you have said in your post you will see that you may need to step back and see what you could do to help yourself. I think you should have taken the job at the nursing home. Even if you only worked once in a while you would at least be on their payroll and be able to list it on your resume. If a position comes up in their facility you could have applied for it, now the person that will take your offered position will be there when the available full or part time job comes up. If they offer you CNA trainging you should have taken it. They usually pay you while you train and give you a job. They also pay for your CNA exam, even if you never used it again you would have it to list on your resume. You havent even taken the exam yet and have these opportunities. Remember that if you are working there when you take your exam and you dont pass the first time you can retake it and still work while you study. I volunteered for a month at a hospital and it helped me land my job. Good Luck

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CET, CPT

Are You Working? Yes

Cmm4ever,

I agree with what JerseyMA said..you should take that position even though it is only prn. And do think about the CNA. Not sure about situation in NY, but here in Florida CNAs are in demand. I sometimes wish I would have taken CNA instead of MA. I would probably have been working a year already. Anyway just something to think about.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? No