This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Now that I have passed the CMA, will it up my chances of finding employment?

Well I did it! Just 3 days ago I passed the CMA exam...Woooooowhooooo! No my problem is experience. Sure they want the CMA, but they want you to have experience. What am I to do? I thought about maybe volunteering in an office a couple of hours a week to gain the experience. I figured maybe they wouldn't mind it because they wouldn't have to pay me. It really....I will just say it....SUCKS! Any advice?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? NO

Re: Now that I have passed the CMA, will it up my chances of finding employment?

Congratulations!!! I can feel your happiness, but also your concerns emanating from the post. I agree, it is a strange thing, you have done everything right and what you could to do the right thing and be the best you can be, yet employers have an expectation of experience which you cannot get unless someone hires you. A catch-22!!! I have posted some tips that might help... at least give you some ideas.

http://www.medicalassistant.net/overcoming_lack_of_experience.htm

http://www.medicalassistant.net/sample_resume.htm

Go-get-em'!!!! And good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Re: Now that I have passed the CMA, will it up my chances of finding employment?

Thank you Danni I am going to re-evaluate my resume and cover letter.
Thanks!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? No

Can you tell me since you just took the exam, how was it? I take the exam through the AAMA February 8th and am so nervous, and worried about my future also! I heard you need to know the top 50 medications, but I never kerned them. Do you know where to find that from? Any tips or advice would be appreciated!!!! Thanks :)

Well I was suprised that about 85-90% of the test was on the administrative (billing, coding, insurance) and not the clinical. Sure there were some questions on clinical but it did not seem like much...But make sure you know your terminology, body planes, basic math that was covered in Pharmacology. There were a couple of questions regarding that. Anyway think of it this way....how did you do in school? Were you a top student? If so then you will do great! Trust in your training. Don't be nervous...Get there early so you won't be rushed. And as far as the top 50 meds I don't recall that...I mean maybe there were a couple of questions? But just look them over....it might be a good idea to invest in a pocket guide for MA's. I purchased one and it covers all of the basics that an MA needs to know. It has a section on the Classification of Drugs and their endings. It's all about the terminology remember?....it is the clue to what the word means. You can get it at any bookstore chain in the medical section. It is a good investment and you can keep it with you when you are on the job.

Good luck!

Are You Working? No

Wow,I'm surprised to hear that, most of the exam focused on administrative stuff! I read that also somewhere the other day, and someone said that the RMA focuses on the clinical more...but I didnt think that was true. I wonder why the AAMA exam outline doesnt match what the exam is like then? I think that it is kind of misleading. I have been going back over the chapters in the review book a second time (trying to get them all done by the exam). So you still recommend covering everything? I never really had a pharmacology class, so I wasnt sure about the medications either...its going to be hard to remember 50 different medications...since I never really learned them elsewhere before. Like I may know a few...but do we need to know types such as analgesic to relieve pain...o do we have to know the brand names and what they are classified as? So I should study body planes such as transverse, saggittal etc., exam positions, med term (I have hundreds...maybe a thousand index cards that came with my med term book). I'm just afraid that even if I do well with the exam questions in my review book/cd, that it might not matter because the exam might be a lot different!? The exam is coming up so soon to. Thanks for responding...guess I should look over the administrative stuff really good (telephone techniques and technologies, appt. scheduling, med records, correspondence, med insurance, med coding and claims, financial practices...these are all the administrative chapters in my review book. DO you remember how many questions are on the exam? My review book says 300 and you get 4 hrs to take it, but somewhere else I read something different. Do they shut the computer off if you answer too many wrong, or do you just find out a tensd no matter what. THANKS AGAIN...SORRY SO LONG,JUST ALWAYS GET NERVOUS, AND WASNT EXPECTING THE EXAM TO BE MOSTLY ADMINISTRATIVE. My review book said 300 questions divided equally into general, administrative, and clinical.

Dear Cmm4ever,

I'm sorry if I freaked you out! I was just surprised because the test sample that the AAMA gives online is nothing like what was on the test. I was freaking out about this while I was taking the exam. I guess at the time it seemed like it was all administrative...maybe not. I was just probably so nervous at the time I couldn't think straight! LOL anyway as far as how many questions...there were five sections and in total...just under 300...about 250. They gave me 4 hours. And no they didn't shut the computer down. We were using Prometric...is that the testing company you are using? And were are you located? Because I am in Florida and maybe things are different were you live? I would go by the testing center or call and ask them questions. Let me think of some tips...Yes know the body planes, and exam positions like the Sims position etc., correct spelling of med terms, classifications of drugs...but be aware that what I am telling you here may not be what you will see on exam. I am not sure if it is a test bank and random questions pop up? My theory is that once you see the question it will all come back to you. I am sure you will do just fine. Don't be so stress about it. Review your notes, index cards, etc. okay! Good luck and let me know how it goes! Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Take care

Are You Working? No

Thanks. Yes everything like the outline etc. does seem so different. I live in Buffalo,NY, and it is through Prometric. I was also wondering the same thing, if everyone gets the same questions or not?! Were they reallt strict, because from the material I was sent, they have a room to put your stuff in (I was worried about keeping my stuff in an unsecured place). Do you get breaks at all? I will definitely let you know how I do! I dont mean to bother you, but I may come up with more questions for you before my exam on Tuesday. I appreciate your help. By the way what review book etc. did you use to review?

I don't mind the questions at all go right ahead! Yes they are super strict! They gave me a locker with a key that only I have. You carry your picture ID and that orange ticket with your CIN#. And if you were glasses you can only take the glasses with you and not the case. No cellphones either. You will be on security camera the whole time. And you can have a break. You log out on the computer and it does not take from your time just as long as you take that break after you finish that particular section. They will explain it all to you. As far as review books all I reviewed was my gigantic telephone sized MA book! LOL for my personally I tried to focus on the things I was unsure of like the insurance and coding. I had a horrible teacher who did not cover that part very well. Anyway I went to my interview for the Unit Secretary and it was a bit nerve wracking to say the least. I was being interviewed by two head nurses. It was kind of like being interrogated! You know Good Cop/Bad Cop! LOL....the "Bad Cop" kept looking me up and down and analyzing every word I said! The other one was so nice and made me feel comfortable. They said I will have around 4-6wks of on the job training. It is a 12hr shift 3 days a week and I can pick the days. They said they will review my resume and deliberate. Let's see what happens. OMG YOUR IN BUFFALO!!!! YIKES! You must be freezing your buns off!

Are You Working? No

Wow that's nice if you get the job!I wish I could find something like that...and be able to pick my days. I have been trying to look when I can, because I have been studying so much. Just hoping the studying pays off tomorrow,and in the long run. I looked under hospital websites, but a lot of the positions are for people already employed through the hospital,or are overnights or say you need to know a lot/be able to type fast (I type average I think)...what department will you be in again? What were the expectations for the person applying? Did it say you had to be able to type so many words a minute etc.? I have two review books one from Kaplan(first one I bought and haven't looked much at it since I finished it...which seems different from the one my teacher made me buy (which seems easier to understand for me it is called "Lippincott Williams &Wilkins' Medical Assisting Exam Review for cma & rma certification" second edition by Helen J. Houser and Janet R. Sesser. Is your huge book an actual review book? Are you allowed to leave if you finish before the allowed time? (On the paper it says 3 hrs and 15 mins...but I have been hearing 4 hours also). I am being dropped off and picked up, so that's why I was wondering. During these "breaks" are you only allowed to use the restroom and that's it? Is each section timed? I dont really have transportation at the time, so its even harder trying to find a job!Maybe I will talk to you on here b4 tomorrow...please wish me luck! THANKS :) Oh yeah almost forgot...do you actually need to know how to code?? and what about math problems..nervous about those hopefully there will not be too many. I used to be good at math, but havent had to use it much so I kind of forgot how to do a lot. I know you cant use a calculator...what about scrap paper...I heard from someone you have to figure it out in your head?

The department if PCU Progressive Care Unit..It is for patients who are either leaving ICU but not ready for the main floor and for those who need care but do not need to be in ICU. As far as the expectations go...you need to be able to cope with a fast paced environment, need strong medterm knowledge, transcription ability...they did not mention an exact typing speed...I am between 50-60 wpm. My huge book is my text book used in school. The review books are too expensive and I couldn't find them at the library. Once you finish the test you are done. You will check out and they will print up the results. Don't loose that form because that will be your only proof that you passed the exam. It takes approximately 8 wks until you receive the offical certification from the AAMA. And yes you can use the restroom on your break or make a phone call. They are going to explain everything to you don't worry. You will be provided with scrap paper etc. Math question example was "How much would your salary be if you work this amount of hours." Not too much problems on there don't worry about that. Look since your test is tomorrow I would relax a bit. It sounds like you are studying like crazy. You don't want to burn yourself out. Get a good nights rest, and eat a good breakfast. I know you are going to pass. Hey I thought I was going to fail the exam and I didn't. I will check back later this evening just incase you have any other questions.

Are You Working? Not yet...hopefull soon!

Hey today flew by....feel like I can not get enough last minute stuff in. I should probably stop soon. I so wish the exam was like the simulated CD THAT CAME WITH MY REVIEW BOOK. I chose 100 questions and got 99 right! So scared it will be completely different. So what should I know as far as coding? I really think Im not going to be able to sleep tonight lol (usually cant anyways)! So the exam is separated in different sections? Is each section timed...for example you get 40 minutes for each section and when times up thats it, or is it 3hrs and 15 minutes for the whole exam? I don't think I like the idea of each section being timed if that's how it is...because you might take longer on one part than the other. Do they just tell you if you pass or fail, or actually give you for example 90%? If so what did you get? I am going to study a little more. Talk to you later or tomorrow ill be !!! Bye for now.

CMA Prep

I can't remember if each section was timed....I get nervous with timed exams so I didn't bring a watch or looked at any clock! LOL...well if you got 99 questions out of 100 correct then you will do just fine on the test. I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than you should. Trust yourself. As far as coding know the difference between what a CPT code looks like and a ICD-9 looks like. Some of those I was confused with. There is no percentage given... a simple PASS or FAIL.

Good Luck you will do fine...

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

~ Quote by Christopher Robin to Pooh

Are You Working? No